Nitrox card required to dive, not just for fills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the Nitrox Cert. is required for liability reasons. The question I have is does the risks outweigh the benefits?

While it's understoond that a nitrox cert. is often demanded before providing nitrox, the key question here is whether the boat should attempt policing the self-provided gas mixes customers bring on board in their own tanks for their own use.

Personally, I say 'no.' And as others have noted, a policy establishing that you do creates a standard you can be held to, that was wholly unnecessary. So it seems the risks likely outweigh the benefits!

Part of the multi-page reaction to this issue stems from a strong sentiment many have that we do not want external authorities further policing our recreational scuba hobby.

Richard.

i'm on your side with this, gibby. they'd have gotten my best 'wtf?' stare and my advanced nitrox card, since i carry that one in my wallet. but really, a) what's in my tanks is my business, and b) if they think it's their business, best to tell me before i show up to the boat.

and to the pp who said the boat should make him analyze because so few people really analyze their tanks, i *guarantee* his tank was analyzed (likely more than once) and the mix & mod on a piece of duct tape on the shoulder. right, bud? :D

oh, and i love you, frank.

I disagree about the "no need for training" or the "cover this in OW" argument. There is a need to make people aware of the limitations of nitrox ... just as there is a similar need for pretty much everything else in scuba diving. I wouldn't cover it in OW for two reasons. First, because most OW divers have such a high consumption rate that nitrox use is a waste of money ... unless they're using big tanks, air is the limitation rather than NDL. Secondly, there's so much to cover in an OW class that is far more important than nitrox that I'd prefer to use that time covering those topics.

I can see integrating nitrox into AOW training, however.

Funny how we seem to have gone from the extreme of not allowing nitrox for recreational use to promoting it at the OW level in just 20 years ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Most offer it as an add on ($$$) to an OW course now.

and to the pp who said the boat should make him analyze because so few people really analyze their tanks, i *guarantee* his tank was analyzed (likely more than once) and the mix & mod on a piece of duct tape on the shoulder. right, bud? :D

If the mix & mod was not on a piece of duct tape on the shoulder, they never would have bothered him in the first place.

Bob
----------------------------------------
"No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously" -Dave Barry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom