Nitrox card required to dive, not just for fills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope, IANTD was the first agency to train in the use of Nitrox, Trimix, Rebreather, & Sidemount. Hehe :wink:

There is some professional disagreement as to the definition of 'technical diving,' but I suppose I've always viewed IANTD as more of a technical training agency than a recreational one. Hyper-Dick started IAND after retiring from NOAA in 85. He had developed the Nitrox program for NOAA in the early 70's, so Nitrox had been around for some time. Nitrox was far outside of the 'recreational sphere' and the training agencies didn't want it to become part of the recreational sector. I think most Divers then (that were aware of it) felt that the use of Nitrox would be restricted to the 'Scientific Diving' community.

Your right though, Dick's focus was on Nitrox. The term 'Technical' wasn't adopted in the U.S. until AquaCORPS Magazine coined the term in 91. The following year, the European Association of Technical Divers (EATD) merged with International Association of Nitrox Divers to form IANTD and Tom became involved with the organization. Sorry for rambling...

No, it's ok. That's pretty much how I remember it. I didn't really think of IANTD as a recreational agency until I became an instructor for them. They have everything from a Snorkeling program to OW to Expedition Trimix on CCR and everything inbetween. So, they teach recreational courses, but are certainly bigger at the technical level.

I thnk we are on the same page, i.e. nitrox doesn't necessarily mean that the mix contains more Nitrogen than Oxygen. I have never seen the notation listing the Nitrogen percentage though, perhaps that is adding to the confusion since (IMO) it is more common to list the oxygen percentage....and now back to the topic :)

It really seems to depend upon a person's background (recreational, technical, commercial, military) as to the terminology they normally use. Also it depends upon the time frame they became involved with mixed-gas and the Agency they've been involved with. As far as terminology is concerned, I'm not one to talk; I still make reference to 'taping something' when I record it on the DVR.:)

Just so I understand the context of this Cave card discussion (since I don't have one and never will). You're saying that the skills that a full cave diver has would not qualify a diver to DIVE his own gas?

No, all I said was this:

Yes fine, but my point was Cave doesn't automatically equal Nitrox. Agreed?

"...well an African Swallow maybe..., but not a European Swallow, that's my point."

I actually like the history tidbits on nitrox :) since it isn't covered in the basic nitrox course. would not dream of trying to out-quote on Monty. Sometimes i'm surprised that an Englishman & an American can communicate so well with all the non-english words & phrases that have become part of American English (Spanish, french, Gaelic, italian, etc). But at least we have 1 thing in common - we all love diving i hope?

There is some professional disagreement as to the definition of 'technical diving,' but I suppose I've always viewed IANTD as more of a technical training agency than a recreational one. Hyper-Dick started IAND after retiring from NOAA in 85. He had developed the Nitrox program for NOAA in the early 70's, so Nitrox had been around for some time. Nitrox was far outside of the 'recreational sphere' and the training agencies didn't want it to become part of the recreational sector. I think most Divers then (that were aware of it) felt that the use of Nitrox would be restricted to the 'Scientific Diving' community.

Your right though, Dick's focus was on Nitrox. The term 'Technical' wasn't adopted in the U.S. until AquaCORPS Magazine coined the term in 91. The following year, the European Association of Technical Divers (EATD) merged with International Association of Nitrox Divers to form IANTD and Tom became involved with the organization. Sorry for rambling...

Dick Rutkowski still teaches an excellent hyperbaric course out of Hyperbarics International in Key Largo. It's below Ocean Divers and the Galley Restaurant and next door to Sharkey's Pub. If you don't get enough history and inside stories regarding nitrox in the class, Dick is glad to continue after class at Sharkey's.

I took the class in 2005 and it is still a highlight of my "training" As a bonus, we got to dive a US Navy 1944 Morse Mark V helmet on the last afternoon of class, I'll not forget it.

Dick Rutkowski still teaches an excellent hyperbaric course out of Hyperbarics International in Key Largo. It's below Ocean Divers and the Galley Restaurant and next door to Sharkey's Pub. If you don't get enough history and inside stories regarding nitrox in the class, Dick is glad to continue after class at Sharkey's.

I took the class in 2005 and it is still a highlight of my "training" As a bonus, we got to dive a US Navy 1944 Morse Mark V helmet on the last afternoon of class, I'll not forget it.

Dick is someone who's contributed to diving much more than he's been credited for. I had some dealings with his NOAA Hyperbaric Lab when I was the Diving Officer (Navy) in-charge of Chamber operations at DCIEM in the 70's and early 80's. A great guy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom