Nitrox Certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LDS in Boynton Beach offers 100 CU Ft Aluminum tanks w/ nitrox as well. This would even give a breather at .6 CFM approximately an hour. My wife dives for an hour on an 80 @ 65' and comes up with 1000 psi or more left.

You have a valid point, my good man.

I was just throwing in another area of consideration.

the K

av8er23:
I am seriously thinking of getting my nitrox certification. Could someone please give me some reasons why I should do it. Are the only benefits: slightly more bottom time & maybe feeling better after a dive.

This thread started with this quote... and av8er23 has a counter for a trip to Key Largo....

I would say... Unless you're doing the speigel grove or the duane, most of the Largo dive sites (reef sites) are below 45 feet, and I would dive air on dives like that, unless nitrox was included in the price. I wouldn't pay an extra $5-7 for nitrox on shallow dives like that.

Call me crazy... I am sure someone will.

Nitrox Rocks :)

My thought would be why NOT dive Nitrox if it's available for a recreational dive? It's a little more money and you can't go as deep, but aside from that it seems like all benefits from there.

Jarrett:
My thought would be why NOT dive Nitrox if it's available for a recreational dive? It's a little more money and you can't go as deep, but aside from that it seems like all benefits from there.

Don't get me wrong... I almost always dive nitrox when it's available. When we were in largo however, the cost for nitrox was $6 / tank which means for me and my wife together $24 / boat trip just for nitrox. The reefs we visited had an average depth of 35' according to my computer... so After 3 days of diving, that's a lot of money to blow on nitrox, when gas consumption is more of an issue than bottom time. The boat we were on also asked us to keep our dives to 1 hour to be considerate to the others on the boat who couldn't stay down that long.

Recently we went to Roatan, and stayed at coco view. They had unlimited nitrox for $80/week (special) that was worth it for sure... Even though the average depth of our diving was 40-50' we still did the nitrox on every dive.

Mainly I guess the point is... you should decide for yourself, but you should also weigh all of the factors involved.

GET the nitrox certification, because you WILL be using it. Don't use it all the time obviously, but it's very useful sometimes!

I agree with pants! on this one, and I REALLY CAN FEEL A DIFFERENCE when I dive Nitrox on multiple dives.

the K

That is definitely the bottom line... Get your nitrox card, and then use your skills and judgement to decide for yourself when to use it.

I got it to use for multiple deep dives when I'm diving offshore. It really doesn't make me 'feel' any better after the dives though. *shrugs*

I'm glad I took the course, on your 3rd dive to 80' after being to 110' and 95' on previous dives. It makes going back down worthwhile :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom