Nitrox certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

got it.

scubatexastony once bubbled...
I know how to dive and breath...but this has been beat to death in another thread....

tony

I'm convinced. I hope you didn't pay too much.

I'm thinking this is a heck of an efficient system we're putting together here. OW in one weekend followed by a quize for nitrox. Trimix is just another gas and we can already dive and breath so one more test and we could do the Doria. Cave diving is just following a line (it makes navigation easy). One more test and we can take Georges place at Wakulla.

Yeah, but the course to get an ego the size of GI3's takes a lifetime to complete.

Well not sure what you are thinking Mike. I cannot combine dives to get certified for more then one certification at a time. Let’s say I want to do Nitrox, Navigation, night and low vis, deep and dry suit. I think if I understand it right I can not combine OW dives for these certifications. It takes two for each one.

I'm convinced. I hope you didn't pay too much.

And I was quite pleased with the instructor. Two 4 hour classes, analizing mixes, dive planning, all in all, I was VERY pleased with it. Even had one of the dive-cons that help set up the Nitrox filling system give a presentation on blending/cleaning/hazards of O2.

BTW, once you have your students analize their mixes and plan their dives and enter the water.....what other than bouyancy control can you check?

Sorry to seem defensive, and I do agree, if you are the instructor, you want to be firmly assure your doing right by your students in confirming he/she is capable of safe diving. But to 40%, give me a break.

tony

IMO, all diving revolves around basic skills. We may be in different environments and our proficiency may be more or less critical in that environment and we may need to perform other tasks at the same time. Cruising along the bottom at 300 ft is the same as doind it at 20 ft. A deco stop is done the same as a safety stop. So what if there are more of them. But...the risk associated with not doing it correctly goes up. What I am getting at is what else other than buoyancy control is envolved in any diving? Each stage of training should be a chance to refine, remediate or whatever. Do you really need an instructor to get nitrox math?

Assuming you are qualifying with PADI, if not this doesnt hold water but....

Nitrox is the only specialty that you CAN combine with another specialty.

Eg. Nitrox and Peak Performance Bouyancy 2 dives 2 cards.

As has been pointed out here, the only underwater skill is breathing so PADI do allow you credit the dive to something else as well.

Hope that helps.

Hoppy

PS 79 gbp here, nitrox pack, 1 class session, exam, 2 dives, gas extra.

Back
Top Bottom