Nitrox Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I got our PADI nitrox cert at splashdown divers in Boynton Beach, Florida. Their course fee is $150.00 for the first person and $125.00 for each additional person and includes the course, a two tank boat trip, two Nitrox filled rental tanks, and weights.

We dive with them a lot, and it's better reef diving than Ft. Lauderdale... we live in Lauderdale, and make the drive. They have a website http://www.splashdowndivers.com

We run ours for $NZD395 including gas and two boat dives. You gotta dive on a dive course...

The best priced dive shop near my place in Philadelphia charges $75 for the course (NAUI), plus the cost of the books for those who want to buy them. No dives required.

I would think you would want a course that requires you to dive. Is this a bargain hunt, or a chance to expand your SCUBA skills? Would you want to make your first nitrox dive without an instructor? I would also suggest that you have a dive computer that can do nitrox dives.

howarde:
I would think you would want a course that requires you to dive. Is this a bargain hunt, or a chance to expand your SCUBA skills? Would you want to make your first nitrox dive without an instructor? I would also suggest that you have a dive computer that can do nitrox dives.

My feeling is that I can learn 99% of the basic nitrox course from books on my own which is what I've been doing anyway. The point of taking the actual course for me is largely just to get the cert to buy nitrox and to fill in that missing 1%/double check what the books have said.

I will have plenty of time to do the actual nitrox dives on my next dive trip backed up by my dive buddy, DM and a dive computer. Plus I'd rather do the dives in the Philippines than here in Pennsylvania. Also the nitrox courses in the Philippines cost about $150-$300 depending on the resort, so I'd rather take the course here for cheaper and then use the left over money to do actual diving over there.

Floater... your logic sounds good for your situation... The original post was regarding someone who was looking to do the whole course in Florida... On my nitrox cert dives, we dove 1) reef @ 60-65' and 1) wreck @ 87'.
For your situation, I would probably do the same. But for del_mo's sit, I would look at our LDS in Florida.

del_mo:
My wife and I are going to Ft. Lauderdale in a couple of months and we're interested in getting our Nitrox cards. I phoned two places. The dive shop I'm interested in diving with wants $225 per person (including dives) and another non-dive shop will do it for $99, but then we have to get two nitrox dives under our belts with someone else before we get our cards.

Am I trying too hard to save a couple of bucks, and in the long run asking for hassles?

The SSI course also runs 100 (plus 35 for materiels) and requires no dives. (Although, supposedly, I have 2 free fills waiting for me (card's not in yet)

howarde:

What is different in the actual dive phase between nitrox and air?

During the course, its made readily apparent that you should 1> know the MOD of the mix you're diving 2>Know what p02 that's calculated for and 3>stay above the MOD.

If you can't do that, you really ought not be diving to begin with.

During the planning phase, there certainly is a difference. You actually have to start worrying about the o2 in the gas you breathe. But if you can breathe air, you can breathe nitox. And you'll run enough tables during your course, that you should have the planning part down.

I took my PADI Nitrox at my LDS, cost was 150$ CDN (about 125$USD), including 2 dives, nitrox tanks and fills.

I charge 250$ ca for a nitrox course fills and charter are the clients expense !
My courses is over 3 nights classes are usually 2-3 students max ! The price depends usualy on quality of the course ! My students finish their basic nitrox cert and know as much as if they did advanced nitrox ! its they way i do it, to me no sense in splitting knowledge up.
I talk about OTU,demonstrate oxygen cleaning, show different types of compatible and non-compatible materials, different types of ox toxicity, talk about different air purity standards, blending pp continous, DCIEM and US NAvy tables, as well as explaining all the math behind the different formulas ! We even practise oxtox recupperation (recstyle)!

Back
Top Bottom