Nitrox class - no dives/dives?

Did your nitrox class require dives?

• Yes

Votes: 27 24.3%
  • No

Votes: 84 75.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly. The early PADI Nitrox class was substantial....and I took mine in 1999 from Brian Kakuk.....lots of work with tables, equations, Equivalent Air Depth, O2 toxicity, NOAA O2 exposure tables....

I took the PADI Computer Nitrox class, and don't remember doing any calculations for the test. But after going back and learning what PADI didn't teach me, the things I wish PADI taught be better would be the equations for MOD, and the NOAA O2 exposure tables.

I haven't seen for quite some time a nitrox course dive where the mod could be exceeded

I think your poll may show when people were certified, not where.

When I did my TDI Nitrox course two dives and a lot of math was required. I don't know when they changed their requirement.

PADI required 2 dives up until the 2nd quarter 2006 training bulletin made the mandatory dives optional. I would guess the others changed somewhere around that time too.
Huh..... I got the cert. May 20/06...maybe the last guy doing the required dives?

It probably depends on when and where one took the Nitrox class whether one has to do the dive(s). Personally, I would rather do dives than not, but the class was nowhere near the water.

Bob

Huh..... I got the cert. May 20/06...maybe the last guy doing the required dives?
Depends on what level of "required". I guarantee you there would have been folks continuing to require it for quite a while after until they got around to reading the Training Bulletin. I also guarantee you that some other folks probably continued to require it because they thought that is the way it should be. Maybe some still do.

NAUI has an "Enriched Air Nitrox" and an "Enriched Air Nitrox Diver" card. Both allow you to get fills up to EANx 40%

Assuming all knowledge about calculations, analyser, etc has already been shown/demonstrated --
Other than showing an instructor that you can stay above the MOD, what is the purpose of the dive(s)? Not sure what other nitrox skills come into play once you've decided to submerge. I'm not making a statement, asking a question. Hope to be taking EAN class in January.

No dives in my course but my LDS gave my next two fills Nitrox for the price of air.

Mine required dives, but I did PADI nitrox 1996ish.

Assuming all knowledge about calculations, analyser, etc has already been shown/demonstrated --
Other than showing an instructor that you can stay above the MOD, what is the purpose of the dive(s)? Not sure what other nitrox skills come into play once you've decided to submerge. I'm not making a statement, asking a question. Hope to be taking EAN class in January.

That’s essentially the whole point of my original post - and what I quoted from the TDI Nitrox class standards. There are no nitrox specific skills to be shown during a dive. It’s not rocket science. So I’m trying to figure out why in the world dives are still required. It seems especially ridiculous to take the class on a diving vacation having not done any e-learning, thus wasting valuable vacation time in a classroom and having to do 2 dives. It’s a class to be done at home BEFORE a vacation.

Back
Top Bottom