Nitrox Compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian1968

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a Dacor Enduro Reg/Octo/Console. It's been well cared for and suits me very well. I'm the only owner it's ever had and I haven't gone anywhere near it with any flammable lubricants :)

I've read that most regs are well compatible with Nitrox up to 40% O2 and as I'm just at the stage now of going for Nitrox certification it will be a good while before I'm breathing anything higher than that, if ever.

Any thoughts about its compatibility or what I need to do to make it so?

Brian1968 once bubbled...
I have a Dacor Enduro Reg/Octo/Console. It's been well cared for and suits me very well. I'm the only owner it's ever had and I haven't gone anywhere near it with any flammable lubricants :)

I've read that most regs are well compatible with Nitrox up to 40% O2 and as I'm just at the stage now of going for Nitrox certification it will be a good while before I'm breathing anything higher than that, if ever.

You don't need to do a thing.

Tanks are another story, but your Octo-reg is almost certainly just fine for rec mixes. You certainly want to have it professionally serviced every year, and it wouldn't hurt to ask the technician or instructor - but that'll be covered in class and check out dives.

Although you'll be trained on to deal wiht 32% and 36%, you'll usually find 32%, unless you request a different mix - I usually ask for 30%, for 10 more feet of soft bottom.

50% more bottom time at depth! Great deal. Have a gas!!

Don

Brian1968 once bubbled...

Laser is right but I'll give you a bit of background:

With Nitrox there are two main problems. Titanium inside your 1st stage and lubricants that will oxidize in high-o2/high-pressure environments.

What I understand is that neither of these things is really a problem with Nitrox up to 40%, which is what you'll learn in a first Nitrox course. With higher concentrations you need be more careful.

R..

All pretty much as I thought.
I'd never considered incindiary metals in the first stage though.
A good thing to know.
Thanks for the inputs, everyone.

This may have already been asked but...

I have an atomic Z1, just a few dives on it...I am currently diving only air but have aspirations toward nitrox and trimix, do I need to have my reg cleaned before I dive the nitrox?

thanks,
Adam

See the previous posts, this thread.

Don

Brian and Adam,
Be careful, you have been receiving a lot of bad and potentially dangerous information in this thread.

It is true that many regs (including the Z1) and consoles are compatible with Nitrox up to 40%. The Dacor Enduro is not compatible with Nitrox according to its user manual.

As stated by Diver0001, Titanium and lubricants in your 1st stage are extremely dangerous.

Another very real danger is the presence of hydrocarbon particles in your first stage, high pressure hose(s) or console. When in contact with Nitrox these can result in spontaneous combustion. Hydrocarbons (read: solvents) are present in normal compressed air and therefore in your regs, hoses and console if you have dived with standard air.

If you want to do both air and Nitrox diving you have 3 choices:
- get a separate reg/hose/console set for standard air and Nitrox and mark them clearly so you never mix them up!
- have your reg/hose/console oxygen cleaned before switching from standard air to Nitrox. Oxygen cleaning is a proces that removes hydrocarbons from your first stage. Many dive centers that sell nitrox offer this service, but it becomes a little expensive if you switch very often.
- utilize only oxygen-compatible or “hyper-filtered” air (in which hydrocarbons do not exceed 0.1 mg/m3). Normal compressed air (often called Grade E) does not meat this criteria and oxygen compatible air may be unavailable in many locations.

So here's what you should do.
- Brian, contact Dacor and find out if your set is really incompatible with nitrox. It could be that the warning in the manual was more meant at other gas mixes. But only Dacor can tell you. If it turns out that is is compatible you need to have it oxygen cleaned before using it for nitrox diving.
- Adam, yes you need to have your regulator and your hose and your console oxygen cleaned.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

According to the local Dacor Service Center it is compatible up to 40%. Will call Dacor on Monday when they open and double check. But this does seem to be the concensus. He did mention titanium and hydrocarbons.

very interesting, considering the fact that this number 40% is rather arbitrary.

make sure you have one of those fancy NITROX stickers on the tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom