Nitrox for increased bottom time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow...where's the love? This place is supposed to be helpful not just people going at each other. Check your egos at the door.

In theory yes it could have an effect but not so much that it is noticed. Especially since the urge to breathe is triggered by the amount of CO2 not O2.

Cheers and Safe Diving,
R

Wow...where's the love? This place is supposed to be helpful not just people going at each other. Check your egos at the door.

In theory yes it could have an effect but not so much that it is noticed. Especially since the urge to breathe is triggered by the amount of CO2 not O2.

Cheers and Safe Diving,
R

Which theory? Just an honest question so I can read about it.

N

Ok... we all know that the harder you work underwater, the faster you're going to go through your air. This is because your muscles, organs, etc need oxygen and you breath faster to feed your muscles the increased amount of oxygen they need.

So, in theory... shouldnt increasing the percent of oxygen in the gas you're breathing make you work a little less hard and thus increasing your potential bottom time via decreasing your air consumption rate?

Has anyone heard anything about this, or even experienced longer bottom times due to nitrox (lol... you guys know what I mean.)?

There have been many many reports of divers feeling less tired after they finish diving on nitrox, compared to equivalent dives on air.

There have also been many divers who say they feel no different (I am in this category).

I have not seen any conclusive proof one way or the other, and the possible variations (conditioning, water temperature, currents, diver hydration levels, stress-level) that exists between dives makes single-person accounts statistically invalid (in that you would expect abc % divers to feel better after some dives, and xyz % of these would be on nitrox)

It would be interesting to see a large, double blind test but I can't really see anyone being prepared to stump up the money to finance it (and who wants to dive an unknown gas mix!)

Thanks, I just like to collect different data--it really was an honest question--thanks for the link. Will look into it.

N

Did any of those that disparaged the original poster notice he is 19 years old. He has plenty of time to learn...

You guys kick dogs too?? : )

Bob

Give DAN a call. If there is any scientific literature, they'd probably know.

They are few and far between, in college...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom