Nitrox for shallow water artifact diving??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think the type of diving you’re doing tiredness is unavoidable. I’d actually avoid high O2 mixes. I started working on moorings recently at 9am low water 15 feet and finished at 3pm nearly high water 25 feet I got in and out 5 times and next day I was very tired. In and out, up and down just takes it out of you.

This is AfterDark's claim. I don't know anyone else saying that. My guess, as expressed earlier, is he misunderstands the dive tables.

We're all waiting for you to answer the rep dive question I posted earlier in this thread. Why do you keep us hanging on waiting for your professional well thought calculations of those 5 dives?

We're all waiting for you to answer the rep dive question I posted earlier in this thread. Why do you keep us hanging on waiting for your professional well thought calculations of those 5 dives?
Well, to begin with, I'm busy today. Next, I am on vacation and do not have my tables with me. Finally, I am having trouble seeing why you want me to calculate those dives as if this were a beginning OW class. Anyone trained in using the tables could do it.

Well, to begin with, I'm busy today. Next, I am on vacation and do not have my tables with me. Finally, I am having trouble seeing why you want me to calculate those dives as if this were a beginning OW class. Anyone trained in using the tables could do it.
LOL. He's just trying to deflect from his inability to explain how nitrox works.

To ask a question in a different way...

What is it that makes one feel tired after diving? Specifically why do I feel tired if I do the last stop at 6m/20' and ascend promptly to the surface. Talking about dives with 30 to 60 mins of (accelerated) deco in the 45m/150' range (using 50:80 GFs)

I know this is empirical evidence from 'me', but I do feel better if I change the 6m/20' stop to 3m/10' BUT ascend as shallow as comfortable below 3m/10'; that may be 5m, 4.5m, 4m. AND I do a slow ascend at the end, 1m/3' per min.

Why?

To ask a question in a different way...

What is it that makes one feel tired after diving? Specifically why do I feel tired if I do the last stop at 6m/20' and ascend promptly to the surface. Talking about dives with 30 to 60 mins of (accelerated) deco in the 45m/150' range (using 50:80 GFs)

I know this is empirical evidence from 'me', but I do feel better if I change the 6m/20' stop to 3m/10' BUT ascend as shallow as comfortable below 3m/10'; that may be 5m, 4.5m, 4m. AND I do a slow ascend at the end, 1m/3' per min.

Why?

I notice that I feel better after deeper dives if I do extra time at the SS. While in NC the 1st time I spent 10-15 minutes at 10-15FSW taking pictures of the pretty fish after the second dive of the day. Later I noticed I felt different as in better than I did after the 1st dive. That became SOP for the rest of week and it seemed to work. As you posted empirical evidence, but I do it whenever I do a SS.

I am not even sure that is true. I think it was mostly guesswork, but, well, I'm guessing.

I found something interesting.

Here's the link to the U.S. Navy Diving Manual; it is a revision from 2005, and I did"t find the table I posted before in the sections about oxygen toxicity (maybe you can try to look better in the text, I took only a quick look):
http://www.operationalmedicine.org/TextbookFiles/USNDiveManual/Contents.pdf

Here's another document, the DAN Nitrox Workshop, Divers Alert Network, November 2000:
DAN Nitrox Workshop Proceedings

At the end of page 88*** they start discussing the numbers 1.6/1.4 and others as well. You were right, there were no scientific studies apparently, just a work of guessing the right pressure carried out in different conditions and environment, which resulted in different agencies/groups using different values depending on their own needs.

***the pdf reader counts the first three pages, so if you want to go to the right page write 91

Search for the "noaa oxygen exposure limits" table. Shows the CNS (central nervous system) exposure times for various PPO2 (oxygen partial pressures).

Search for the "noaa oxygen exposure limits" table. Shows the CNS (central nervous system) exposure times for various PPO2 (oxygen partial pressures).

This is what I am looking for actually... but I don't manage to find it... do you have a link?

This is what I am looking for actually... but I don't manage to find it... do you have a link?
Have you tried looking for the image? (I use DuckDuckGo which turned up the image on a Russian site!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom