Nitrox ..GREAT STUFF!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry M

Reaction score
Am a commercial Diver in Canada fishing Swimming Scallops using divers in depths of 70 to 90 ft ...I've done this since 1982... all on Air about 15000 dives in that time... last year I decided to buy a Nitrox system ..I live in an Isolated area in BC so buying Nitrox fills was not an Option ....I took a Nitrox course as did the two divers who work for me and after much research bought a membrane system ...when the Nitrox system arrived I started off using 34% soon 36% and now 38% when I felt comfortable using Nitrox ... this works great but wouldn't go beyond 38% with the depths I dive ...with Hundreds of dives on Nitrox ...(we use two tanks a day ) we all certainly feel much less fatigued than using Air and Generally all around better! ...you don't get out of breath when the tide starts running and your working harder either...I'm sold on Nitrox and will never dive air again ...it really does make a big difference in how one feels after diving :D

"Geezer Gas", 'cuase us old farts don't feel as tired after we're done. BTW, impressive number of dives!

Moreover, if you keep breathing off the regulator as you come out of the quarry and trudge up the hill to the car, you defiantly feel the extra oxygen. Of course people tend to look at you funny.

Mike

MikeS once bubbled...
Moreover, if you keep breathing off the regulator as you come out of the quarry and trudge up the hill to the car, you defiantly feel the extra oxygen. Of course people tend to look at you funny.

Mike

One of the places we do shore dives involves climbing 2 flights of stairs after the dive with all our equipment on. With double 95s, argon and deco bottles, sucking on 80% is a good thing!

You should try getting out of some of the springs in Florida! Almost like what you are talking about with the stairs. At the two most popular sites you have fairly easy entry. One is simply a set of about 5 stairs.

The other one has two different entry points. In one you used to have to climb up a ladder, and then onto a flight of stairs and up those. Now they have removed the ladder and added some more stairs. The other is 3 flights of stairs, only after you climb onto a rock that is about a foot out of the water. Both of these entry points include a 100 foot walk back to the car afterwards.

In double PST104's this can get tiring after a little while! LOL!

Then you cna go to places that have no stairs and you are climbing up hills! :eek:

NetDoc once bubbled...
"Geezer Gas", 'cuase us old farts don't feel as tired after we're done. BTW, impressive number of dives!

Geezer Gas .... ...funny!! it is that... I just turned 50 ...thought of hanging up my flippers before trying Nitrox ..but one needs to make a living ...it's like getting a second chance for sure :wink:

Physical exercise after a dive increases your chances of developing DCS. Just thought id throw that one out.

Nitrox is the way to go. If I had the $$ to dive it all the time...I would. However, I have a much cheaper option to dive air.

Come on you Nitrox fans.

How about voting on my poll?

Dr Paul Thomas once bubbled...
Come on you Nitrox fans.

How about voting on my poll?

Voted....said my peace, still don't think that students should be trained nitrox as part of the o/w cert. I think it is just too much load for them to take. IT is a course we should take after we are certified.

Back
Top Bottom