Nitrox in car tires?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's my tyre pumper chief, a Scubapro Mk20 when only the best will do and a digital tyre pumper

002.JPG

Regarding your fast excavation condensation hypothesis

Filling four 17 inch A/T tyres from 15psi to 29 psi eachish , from a 3000 litre supply

The gas is only coming out or in as fast as pumping a bcd

Which means that in my hemishphere, this piece of noisily slow invention has been Trumped hands down

031.JPG

and will never ever have the opportinity to deafen me further, nor scar my most pristine battery terminals

Hey I'm about to watch Bull ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

sorry, guys, but can not read it without remind of one famous story here....

A posh girl comes to a car service, she needs to pump up the tires, well, they mock her, they decided, they say
- And what flavor of air would you pump up with?
- Are there different flavors?
- Of course, for an amateur... there is an apricot flavor, a banana flavor, with an apple flavor
- Oh, do you have strawberries? I love strawberries so much
- Well, of course there is, will do
Well, in general pumped up, laughed and forgot.
The next day, a bouncer arrives under two meters in height, and half as wide in latitude, and asks "yesterday my wife came, who pumped her tires with strawberry-flavored air?"
"Here is 1k$ tips for you, I was laugh all night, I could not calm down)) "

P.S. anti offtopic: oxygen as it is not so dangerous for rubber, but ozone is, as I think...
but better is using https://cdn.standards.iteh.ai/samples/2122/6f401285bea2475795aa4e75cd1b8067/ISO-188-1998.pdf - Rubber, vulcanized or thermoplastic — Accelerated ageing and heat resistance tests

I would not worry about a little moisture in your tires...
The rubber doesn't care. I've had enough issues with corrosion inside the rim I don't want to be adding moisture. And water filled tractor tires, I've owned those as well. Keep the tire and replace the rim. But that water sure down help with ballast (traction) so long as you are looking for grip on hard ground and not flotation above it. My personal tractor experience is only the little ones, 8N, Kubota. Can't get away from that stuff growing up in Kansas.

Another reason to keep moisture out of modern tires is the TPMS sensor inside. Those things take enough of a beating if you think about the forces going on inside a rim, don't need to add extra moisture to the computer side of the sensor/computer/radio transmitter/battery.

Which is why I was thinking to keep it topped of with a transfer whip. The tank would not be used for scuba.
Still have 5-year hydro, that's a legal thing if it's going to be on the road.
higher O2 is bad for the tires, they have age limits that are largely based on oxidation of the rubber and nitrox is only going to accelerate that. Emergency use instead of carrying a portable compressor? Not a concern, but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Best to invest in one of the portable units that uses whatever battery your drill/driver set uses. They're quite cheap.

@broncobowsher the rubber absolutely cares about the higher ppO2 inside. While my area of expertise is textiles, I do a lot of work with the tire guys as the "tire cord guy" and I just checked with the rubber guys and they strongly recommended against using nitrox from an oxidation perspective. While most of the compressors are putting some moisture in there, it's usually not appreciably worse than atmospheric and it is less apt to fall out as condensation since it is under pressure.

... While most of the compressors are putting some moisture in there, it's usually not appreciably worse than atmospheric and it is less apt to fall out as condensation since it is under pressure.
Under pressure is what squeezes out the water. Compressors have water traps to get rid of the water that is squeezed out. If you look at the basic tire compressor that has no tank or water trap, the tire is the water trap. A good shop compressor, and a tank and that generally does a good job of a water trap. I know mine does. Scuba compressors even more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom