Nitrox in car tires?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With a pony, the true drawback is the annual vip and 5-year hydro cost... it is like paying for insurance...
Which is why I was thinking to keep it topped of with a transfer whip. The tank would not be used for scuba.

Which is why I was thinking to keep it topped of with a transfer whip. The tank would not be used for scuba.
There are small compressors that are much cheaper than a tank and do a great job filling tires. If he only uses the tank to fill tires, why not use his main tank(s) rather than using a secondary tank and transfill whip?

If you want to use a pony to fill your car tires, fill the pony with air or nitrogen. Oxygen destroys rubber. So does sunlight and ozone. I don't drive enough to wear out a set of tires in 10 years, but i replace them every 5 or so because they are checked.

There are small compressors that are much cheaper than a tank and do a great job filling tires. If he only uses the tank to fill tires, why not use his main tank(s) rather than using a secondary tank and transfill whip?
I was thinking the same for topping the pony, and something like a paintball compressor as the run/fill time wouldn't be much.... Thing is, I'd be hesitant to then connect my regulator to it for soaking as the potential of those compressors to emit nasties which are now in my regulator...

I have topped off my car tires with a scuba tank containing nitrox for years. The tires ALWAYS seem to wear out in less than 4-5 years. If you want to make your tires last avoid driving on them.

my best happy diver impression.
So what are you saying? You've not experienced a difference in tire wear whether topping of with air or nitrox?

I use the 13 cf tank also to soak my regs pressurized. So I was thinking to have a second purpose topping off car tires.

He is saying he doesn't/wouldn't. He is saying he is in an environment that is already hard on his tires...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom