Nitrox in my BCD???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what the aforementioned BCD Nitrox conversion kit actually consists of ?

My guess is a sachet of dishwashing soap and an important looking sticker....

bradshsi:
I wonder what the aforementioned BCD Nitrox conversion kit actually consists of ?

My guess is a sachet of dishwashing soap and an important looking sticker....
My guess is a few replacement o-rings for the low pressure inflator.

I can make a guess at how this O2 cleaning requirement oozed and spread like a virus.

Partial pressure fills put 100% O2 at several hundred pounds into a tank. So it makes sense to O2 clean a "nitrox" tank.

A 1st stage reg gets hooked up to that O2 cleaned tank. Even though it never sees pure O2 is does see about 80atm ppO2. Some benefit in O2 cleaning, and maybe even changing materials for o-rings. And doesn't it make sense to have an O2 clean reg hooked to the O2 cleaned tank?

The O2 clean 1st stage feeds an 2nd stage. If you O2 clean the 1st stage, you ought to O2 clean the 2nd, right? Of course is never sees more than about 10ata of nitrox, never sees 100% O2, and max ppO2 is only about 4ata.

If you've gone so far as to require 2nd stages to be O2 cleaned, then why not the LPI? Makes sense, right? (of course, only if you creep up on it like this and don't really look at what the requirement it).

Now you've O2 cleaned your LPI or combo inflator/octo. Why not O2 clean the BCD and snorkel and masks while you're at it. :)

Oh no.....! And then..........it goes to my AI computer!!!! All 3000psi of it! Oh wait, if I just set my computer to nitrox I'm okay...... whew. Just thinking out loud.

Dennis

String:
I used nitrox with my Mares BC for a while and it didnt blow up. Its a pointless arse-covering opt out clause. Ignore it.

The BC didnt explode or catch fire.

It did fall apart but thats due to mares low quality crappy design not the nitrox (both zips on pockets snapped, plastic D-rings snapped and final straw the backplate snapped).

Did you check the O2 content of the water you were diving in.
It sounds like you were diving in water that exceeded 1/3 O2 and 2/3 H.

Caused early equipment failure!

:wink:

Charlie99:
By jove, I think you've figured out why nobody makes an air-only AI computer!!!!! :banana:

Suunto did make one, called the EON. Of course, this was back when nitrox was called "vodoo gas".

I read about the problem, and went to the manufactures web site to look at the online manual for this BC. There is a part that says that after the bc is converted for Nitrox then used with normal compressed air that it has to have the conversion process redone. The reason that is because the BC may be contaminated with traces of hydrocarbons or other impurities that could spark combustion. This information is on the last page of the online manual.

Its standard practice that if equipment is O2 cleaned and then used with Air it MUST be O2 cleaned again to be considered safe for use with O2 > 40%.

I have a hard time imagining a BC that would not be unsafe with 100% O2 being that the liners are probably made from Hydrocarbons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom