"Nitrox poisoning"-tv dialogue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On that same note...I went to Sports Chalet last night to get an air fill. Long story short, there was a Sports Chalet instructor there who refused to fill my cylinders because they had a "nitrox" sticker on them (they weren't even "enriched air nitrox" stickers). He proceeded to tell me that adding air to the nitrox would poison me...kept saying it was poisonous. NCIS, alright, I can kind of forgive...but a scuba instructor?!! And by definition, isn't air nitrox?

I'd go back in with a "21%" test marked on it and see what he says.

I'd say to add a MOD but as we all know "how deep is too deep on air" is a whole 'nuther can of worms. :D

PS- and JAX - thank you for changing your avatar. Hard to see a GW pic for an HD rider like yourself :crafty:

On that same note...I went to Sports Chalet last night to get an air fill. Long story short, there was a Sports Chalet instructor there who refused to fill my cylinders because they had a "nitrox" sticker on them (they weren't even "enriched air nitrox" stickers). He proceeded to tell me that adding air to the nitrox would poison me...kept saying it was poisonous. NCIS, alright, I can kind of forgive...but a scuba instructor?!! And by definition, isn't air nitrox?

OK, spill the bean...which Chalet?

OK, spill the bean...which Chalet?

Well, I really do hate calling a specific place/person out...but I think this sort of attitude/misinformation/stupidity/ego deserves it. I wouldn't recommend anyone taking a class from this instructor.

It was the Sports Chalet in Marina del Rey. I will say though, the guy who was actually filling my tanks was extremely nice and even apologized. He wanted to fill my tanks, but didn't want to risk losing his job or "killing me".

Well, I really do hate calling a specific place/person out...but I think this sort of attitude/misinformation/stupidity/ego deserves it. I wouldn't recommend anyone taking a class from this instructor.

It was the Sports Chalet in Marina del Rey. I will say though, the guy who was actually filling my tanks was extremely nice and even apologized. He wanted to fill my tanks, but didn't want to risk losing his job or "killing me".

Well, at least he deserves credit for that! :rofl3:

Not without helium................

How about hypoxic nitrox?

great for cheapskate deep divers :D

Oh yeah ... let's pump a bit of pure nitrogen into our air tank so we can dive deeper.

Do you know anybody who's done that? Perhaps back in the "real men" days ...

Doesn't sound like a real good idea to me ... besides the obvious side-effect of narcosis, you'd probably have to pack a few sandwiches for your deco hang ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hence the " :D "

:shakehead:

Maybe this one would've worked better ... :joke:

... or perhaps ... :classic:

Consider what forum you're posting in ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Folks, this ain't rocket surgery.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, I am stealing that. Thx for the rest of the info too.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

They're out there ... a few years back I had a shop employee try telling me that in order to fill my cylinder with air he'd have to rip the VIP sticker off and re-inspect the tank ... since it had been serviced for nitrox use.

I thanked him for his time, picked up my tank and walked out ... had it filled somewhere else.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Remember the CSI NY episode with the diver dying when down 90 ft. in the Hudson River and Mack says: "Something happened to his oxygen tank"? Of course, there are many things you can die from in the Hudson....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom