Nitrox Question (lack of energy and heartburn)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took a nitrox course before a recent trip to Roatan. I did 23 dives there in 6 days, all on nitrox.

I agree with those who say they feel better diving nitrox, just get a checkout and make sure the mix is appropriate for your profile. Nitrox solves some issues, but complicates others.

Last month, I did two four dive days in the Keys on air. I definitely had more energy using nitrox.

im sorry to go off topic but what is prairie dog diving ?

Prairie dog diving from what I understand is doing several ascent/descents in one dive. Like, going to 70ft, ascend to 30, then down to 60, then back up to 30, all in one dive. The constant pressure changes with no rest will make you tired fast.

I want to thank everyone so much for their valuable input. I definitely feel better educated and plan to try many of the things suggested!

Karin

I have never really liked doing the 3rd dive of the day (especially if I am diving consecutive days) and have always had heartburn when I dive (starts during the dive and continues for a couple hours afterwards).

Karin, I recommend that you talk with a qualified physician. If you are diving in a horizontal position, you MIGHT POSSIBLY be getting some acid reflux. I don't know,

I breath slowly and conserve my air by holding my breath in between breaths, but not when I am going up or down.

Are you skip breathing?

fwiw, i did a week's diving on Nitrox and still got heartburn/reflux.

I put it down to poor diet :)

I wonder if Mythbusters would do a study on differences between multiple diving days on air vs nitrox. i've wondered if between air dives, if you simply breathe o2 for 5 minutes or so, would that have similar affects as to you intaking more oxygen percentages in nitrox? or is it the nitrogen in your tissues that gives you the ick?

I'd love to see Kari Byron in a wetsuit. Or her birthday suit!

To OpenmindOW - what is 'skip breathing'?
@KarinW: The Wikipedia entry for Hypercapnia has the following paragraph on skip breathing:
Skip breathing

Skip breathing is a controversial technique to conserve breathing gas when using open-circuit scuba, which consists of briefly holding one's breath between inhalation and exhalation (i.e., "skipping" a breath). It leads to CO2 not being exhaled efficiently. There is also an increased risk of burst lung from holding the breath while ascending.

Skip breathing is counterproductive with a rebreather, where the act of breathing pumps the gas around the "loop", pushing carbon dioxide through the scrubber and mixing freshly injected oxygen.

Ah, no, I do not 'skip breath'. I take a breath, hold it for a second or two and slowly exhale. (But again, I do not do this when I am going down or up.) I have never actually asked anyone about this before, it is just what I have done forever.... I am breathing 'incorrectly'?

. . . I take a breath, hold it for a second or two and slowly exhale. (But again, I do not do this when I am going down or up.)

Karin, my friend, I say this as a fellow diver and with respect.

It sounds like you might be skip breathing. Based on the fact that you wrote that you hold your breath, it sounds like you might be skip breathing.

Skip Breathing is not a good habit. As we say, one of the most important rules of SCUBA is to never hold one's breath.

My opinion is that it is not a good practice. Perhaps others reading this can chime in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom