Nitrox question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will all the other associated costs of diving, an 8 dollar fill is unremarkable. My tanks are O2 clean, so all I fill em with is EAN. I'd use safeair for pool practice.

TBH I never really thought about it in a % of total cost way. Given that it takes me a little more then a full tank of gas to go round trip I do suppose that $12-$20 more for the breathing gas isn't that much of an issue.

I might have to re-think it a bit.

thanks for elaborating on my cryptic message. i replied after an 18hour day and was nearly passed out when i posted. :D

You should definitely take the class. I took the padi class and the EAN book is probably one of the best written padi manuals -in my opinion.

Thanks all for the info. It almost makes sense :)
I think I looked over Kathy's shoulder when she was doing some calculations, it looks somewhat familiar.

Kristina,
Nitrox is also very handy if you go on a live-aboard. In my recent trip to Osprey Reef in GBR I did 16 dives in 3.5 days and 8 of them were 100+ fsw. I am fairly certain I would have hit deco obligation if I was diving air. When you are diving in such remote locations you do not even want to go close to NDL as the nearest chamber is 6-8 hrs helicopter ride away :)

Mainak

TBH I never really thought about it in a % of total cost way. Given that it takes me a little more then a full tank of gas to go round trip I do suppose that $12-$20 more for the breathing gas isn't that much of an issue.

I might have to re-think it a bit.

Having calculated it out, it's still not worth it for me except in that relatively narrow depth band. If I were routinely doing multiple long dives at moderate depths it might make sense to shorten up my SIs, but for the depths I'm typically diving fast tissues are the controlling ones, and I find that 1 hr. SIs will unload them to give me adequate dive times on second and subsequent dives.

The cost calculus goes like this for me: Air fills at my LDS: $2.50/$3.00 for LP/HP with a fill card. Nitrox at my LDS, $10 for 32%, $12 for 36% , Partial-pressure blending so I need O2 clean tanks (@$10-$15 extra per tank VIP).

In Monterey, $8.50 or $9.00 for 32% premix with a fill card (used to be able to get up to 36% at MBDC for $7.75/tank with a card, but PPB), , more for 33%-50%. Any Water Sports isn't convenient for my getting a fill on the way. $4.80 or $5.00 for an air fill in Monterey with a card.

I normally take 3 tanks with me, all filled with OCA at my LDS, so 3 dives costs me anywhere from $7.50 to $9 depending on the mix of tanks I take. 3 Nitrox fills in Monterey will cost me $25.50-$27.00, plus tax at some shops. I do 4-7 dives a weekend, so that's another $4.80-$20.00 for the weekend in Monterey if I dive only air. If I instead dive Nitrox that's going to run me between $8.50-$36.00, depending on where I get my fills, plus tax.

So a weekend where I do 4 dives on air will typically cost me $13.80 for gas, assuming 3 HP fills at my LDS and 1 in Monterey; the same dives on 32% will cost me $34.00 plus tax, assuming all fills in Monterey. That's enough difference to pay for my dinner, or my gas to get there and back.

For 7 dives it wil cost me $28.20-$29.00 for air, $59.50-$63.00 plus tax for 32%, with the same HP fills as above.

As previously stated, I rarely run into NDL issues while shore diving except at Lobos, Monastery or Pt. Pinos, as those are the only shore sites where I can get deep enough that I'm likely to run out of gas or time before I get cold or bored (my typical dive on a HP100 is 45-70 minutes). I always take at least a 1 hr. SI, so hopping back in the water immediately isn't an issue.

Guy

What about not crashing your car on the ride home because you are overly tired? What is that worth?

At least for those of us that have a long drive it makes a difference.

Will all the other associated costs of diving, an 8 dollar fill is unremarkable. My tanks are O2 clean, so all I fill em with is EAN. I'd use safeair for pool practice.

My tanks are O2 cleaned too & that's exactly what I try to do.

But often I can just use up the extra gas in my tanks from the weekend (if there is any) for the pool sessions, then sick around the shop for new fills :wink:.

When you have O2 cleaned tanks, it's kinda annoying to jump on a dive boat like the Spectre in Anacapa for shallow dives where then don't pump safeair & then you have to borrow or rent a non-O2 cleaned Steel DIN tank for the compressed air fills - which is kind of a PITA to get :(.

Or else you end up using the boat tanks and bashing the back of your head on some stupid DIN adapter :shakehead:.

I think I need to buy another tank to fix that :D!

heh, you guys are talking about a couple of bucks difference btwn air and nitrox, but in my case it a small delta compared to the junk food pizza eating that takes place after the dives!

I think nitrox makes gianni's pizza taste better.

Back
Top Bottom