Nitrox Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

windapp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been reading a little about Nitrox (don't worry I won't be trying to use nitrox without certification based on answers here). I was wondering something. When you get Nitrox, can you custom specify the blend or does it only come in specific percentages?

For the most part yes.

It depends on where you get it filled, some shops will be able to make any blend, others will only be comfortable making certain percentages.

Most people dive with simple mixes (example 32%)

Though for any mix between 21% and 40% you can dilute the higher percentage of Nitrox with Air to create different mixes.

Most shops can give you what you want, alot will bank one or two certain mixes that people use most often. For the most part you won't really need a special blend and the banked 32 or 36 will suit you just fine.

Depends on the shop. Some shops use what is called a blending stick that pumps nitrox out of the compressor into thier bottle bank. These shops typically have 32 and 36 ready. If they don't partial-pressure blend into your tank, then you only get to choose from what they have banked.

If the shop uses a membrane system then you may be limited to a maximum of around 34%.

If they do proper blending then any percentage is possible although a Nitrox card will only enable you to fill up to 40%

All of the shops around here can blend anything you want. I usually keep 36% and a 28% on hand so I have something if I want to make a deeper dive.

Even though there are "standard mixes" (banked and such) I find most shops will give you what you desire if you ask correctly.

Knowing how to "ask correctly" can be a bit more troubling than what you learned in the basic course but if you really want to hit the numbers direct, many shops will oblige.

The sad truth is Nitrox is not the "Golden Gas" most people perceive it to be.

But that's another story..

The shop I went to in Ft Lauderdale did not have anything banked, just blended it as needed; my mixes were 33.7%, 37.8%, 31.9% and 37%.
I adjusted my max depths accordingly, and made sure that each tank was labeled w/ the blend and MOD.
Note that this was only my second and third times using nitrox, so I am certainly not as experienced or knowledgeable as some of the longer term members - just reflecting my own experience this past weekend.

KevinL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom