Nitrox??? Really???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Lighthouse Diving in Seattle still has some refurbished dive computers (Aeris). I'm not sure if they're air only or not but since they are refurbished they will be just as cheap as air only.

OK, to reiterate. "It's not about the gear." It's about pushing stuff on people they don't need.

Mhedman

Ok point taken, the sales person you talked to was pushy, so go somewhere else.

However, just FYI, if you go to scuba.com and look a wriste and module computers the cheapest one is an Air/Nitrox computer. Also there are only 2 Air only computers they sell, which don't have as many features as the cheaper Air/Nitrox computer. So why not save some $$$ and get an Air/Nitrox computer?

To add, a NEW Air/Nitrox computer is only $250, most people pay more than that for there basic OW course, so why sweat buying used?

mhedman:
OK, to reiterate. "It's not about the gear." It's about pushing stuff on people they don't need.

Mhedman

I think the salesperson had a valid point, which she failed miserably at communicating. It's getting hard to even find an air-only computer. A nitrox computer doesn't cost more, so why exclude the feature?

Analogy: Would you buy a car that doesn't have headlights even if you don't plan on driving at night? Even if you never plan to use the headlights you would be wasting your time to try to find a car without them. AND... they might come in handy some day. :wink:

If you still want an air-only computer go to Ebay. You'll find them there. You'll also find dual-mode comps that are just as inexpensive.

-Ben

Tienuts:
Dude, go into a Best Buy and ask for a beta VCR and see what they say there.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Last time I checked, air had a MOD, just like nitrox. It just happens to be 187 ft. If you can't keep from exceeding the MOD of your gas, whether it be nitrox, air, or trimix, you're too dumb to dive. Sorry, but the truth hurts.

When I lived in Mukilteo I picked up a used air computer from Lighthouse Diving. No hassle from the sales people and they cut me a deal since no one else really wanted it. I carry it along as a backup and\or loaner now.

I wonder if they hassled you because they didn’t have one in stock. I can’t think of any other reason to push something on you that you obviously don’t want.

Check out ebay.

Tienuts:
Dude, go into a Best Buy and ask for a beta VCR and see what they say there.

So you work for the same shop? My computer handles Nitrox, I've used it for Nitrox only during my Nitrox class years ago. I'd love to have another air only computer for a back up. I see no need to purchase a Nitrox compatible computer if you truly don't think you are going to need it.

I would have walked out of that shop in a heartbeat never to return. And some shop owners wonder why people buy gear online? Hmmm.

Scottri:
So you work for the same shop? My computer handles Nitrox, I've used it for Nitrox only during my Nitrox class years ago. I'd love to have another air only computer for a back up. I see no need to purchase a Nitrox compatible computer if you truly don't think you are going to need it.

I would have walked out of that shop in a heartbeat never to return. And some shop owners wonder why people buy gear online? Hmmm.
I'm just saying it's obsolete. I would be surprised to find a manufacturer that's making an air only computer now.

Back
Top Bottom