"Nitrox reduces fatigue"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheAvatar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
"Breathing NitrOx reduces fatigue" I was told today.

It seems like a silly concept except for maybe the shallowest of dives. Yes the %O2 is higher, but isn't it ppO2 that matters? If SaO2 is 100%, which I would expect any healthy person who is breathing compressed air at more than say 0.3 ppO2 to be doing, it doesn't seem like %O2>20.9% would matter? I thought NitrOx was just to reduce your nitrogen load.

It costs more, so it must be better, right?

Less fatigue, less nitrogen loading, low carbs, great taste, less filling. I think the tanks are actually lighter, too.

theskull

This would be a good one for the "Ask Dr. Decompression" forum.

The reason that nitrox reduces fatigue is because it reduces "decompression stress", or subclinical symptoms of DCI.
There are a whole host of things that happen in our bodies when we are offgassing, and one of them is an immune response to the microbubbles. Of course, an immune response in the blood results in the lymphatic system having to carry off the excess dead white cells produced to mount the attack. The immune response itself, as well as the lymphatic aftermath, both serve to create fatigue, stiffness, perhaps sore muscles, etc...

Remember... we're talking subclinical DCS. Just as "every dive is a decompression dive", you could also say that after every dive we are all a "little bit bent". Back in OW-101, wasn't fatigue taught to us as being one of the signs of DCS?
It is generally the second symptom... right after denial.

Nitrox can help to reduce this.

Until you take advantage of the extended bottom times available from nitrox... then you're back to square 1 with a full nitrogen load.

Similar benefits to nitrox have been reported by divers adding deep stops to their profiles.

I don't know the theory behind it, but I do know that when I've done a decompression dive and used 50% or higher deco gas, I feel HEAPS better. In fact, I usually feel much better getting out of the water than I did getting in!. For me, it also cures my seasickness... in fact I usually feel better after a deco dive on a high o2 mix in the sea (carrying a 7L stage cylinder) than I do on a shallow dive in the quarry with no deco...

Cool... some mod wanna move this thread to Dr. Deco's kingdom?

Bob3:
Hey, "subclinical" means w/o symptoms, so when a guy is feeling fatigued, he's probably bent, no more subclinical.
I can't technically disagree with this, but I was referring to symptoms that would not be viewed by the diver (or DAN) as a sign of DCS requiring treatment. IOTW, if called, DAN may very well log it in their stats as a case that self-resolved, while requesting that the diver call them back if it doesn't resolve.

Like I said... every dive is a deco dive, and after every dive, we're generally a "little" bent :)

TheAvatar:
"Breathing NitrOx reduces fatigue" I was told today.

It seems like a silly concept except for maybe the shallowest of dives. Yes the %O2 is higher, but isn't it ppO2 that matters? If SaO2 is 100%, which I would expect any healthy person who is breathing compressed air at more than say 0.3 ppO2 to be doing, it doesn't seem like %O2>20.9% would matter? I thought NitrOx was just to reduce your nitrogen load.

FWIW - My wife (non-diver) noticed right away that I was in a better mood and more willing to do “land things” when I started diving Nitrox.

Back
Top Bottom