Nitrox regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMTJLA once bubbled...

Navy nitrox diving volume 2 page 10-7 . Once a regulator has been made a nitrox reg it can only be use w/ nitrox. Wonder why?

Because the Navy's too stupid to use Grade E Nitrox air? Or know the difference? Another stupid wive's tale from someone who should know better.
Maybe you guys should start your own club.

Shrwd... Thank you for you info and help. I've seen your other posts and have noticed they are often informative and often free of selfless pushing of the products you work with.

Please don't let the ignorant among us keep you from offering your information.

James... Hello! Are you ignorant or are you really here just to stir trouble? Comments such as yours are why I have left other boards. You were told that it has happened and told the Genesis and Sherwood regulator have a policy regarding it, and you were told why. I don't see where anything is being hidden here. If you really know so much, lets see you get a job that puts all this great knowledge to use.

Mechdiver... Thank you for leaving. Your comments were neither helpful nor needed. Your parents or your school obviously needs to add password protection to their computers.

You were told that it has happened and told the Genesis and Sherwood regulator have a policy regarding it, and you were told why. I don't see where anything is being hidden here.

All I've seen are unsubstantiated claims.

I have no idea if they're true, false, or believed true but not actually true. Nor does anyone else. The person making them has refused to release the information that would make verification possible.

Why's that?

Here are some questions for Mr. Sherwood - none of which I expect answered, but all of which anyone who is truly interested in this issue and claimed succeptability should be asking - natch - demanding from this manufacturer before buying or using any of these manufacturer's gear:

1. Why won't you release the data on these alleged incidents? Exactly what regulators were involved in them? What are/were they constructed of?

2. What differences are there between your "Nitrox" and "regular" rebuild kits? Why aren't the "better" parts in the "regular" rebuild kit? If there are differences in the lubricant or materials specified as acceptable for each service, why is that the case?

3. Exactly what happened in each incident? Were the item(s) that flashed identified? Was the flash contained to those components? How do you know that the issue was indeed contamination that O2-cleaning and/or your "enhanced" parts kit would have addressed? Can you reproduce this failure in the lab with an "O2-cleaned" reg and one that has not been, but came directly off your assembly line without that kit/service? Have you tried? With what results?

PS: See my previous comments - ANY reg can be made to flash with a high enough FO2. So can any valve. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A REGULATOR THAT HAS NO COMBUSTIBLE COMPONENTS IN IT!

The worst part of it is that the very places where the highest degree of risk are - where there are sharp corners and bends in the gas flow, and thus where adiabatic heating is most likely - is right where combustible materials are intentionally and necessarily placed in the regulator and valve!

These are the places where ignition is most likely.

O2-cleaning does not (and cannot) prevent ignition in these components.

DO NOT SLAM OPEN TANK VALVES - ALWAYS OPEN VALVES SLOWLY; CRACK THEM, IMMEDIATELY RE-CLOSE, AND IF ALL IS OK THEN OPEN FULLY!! When doing so do not place any part of your body where it can be struck by an ejected component or flash due to ignition (e.g. over valve stems or regulator HP seat caps.)

This is standard practice for handling high-pressure O2, and is a good practice for all high pressure gasses. Beyond ignition issues there is always the potential for a hose or component failure.

h2onut once bubbled...
Shrwd... Thank you for you info and help. I've seen your other posts and have noticed they are often informative and often free of selfless pushing of the products you work with.

Please don't let the ignorant among us keep you from offering your information.

James... Hello! Are you ignorant or are you really here just to stir trouble? Comments such as yours are why I have left other boards. You were told that it has happened and told the Genesis and Sherwood regulator have a policy regarding it, and you were told why. I don't see where anything is being hidden here. If you really know so much, lets see you get a job that puts all this great knowledge to use.

Mechdiver... Thank you for leaving. Your comments were neither helpful nor needed. Your parents or your school obviously needs to add password protection to their computers.

I smell a sock puppet.

h2onut once bubbled...

There is something being hidden, because us peons are being expected to take the priest's word for it. Without concrete proof, we cannot be expected to take someone's word for it.

This is what triggered the Protestant Reformation in the 1500's -- the Bible was being hidden from the view of the people to whom it was written. The priests were keeping it to themselves and using it to manipulate their flock.

Luther, Calvin, Simons, et al. decided that this was not a good thing and hence the great reformation happened. We now have unhindered access to that book (and God) which was once "restricted" by those in-the-know to those in-the-know.

What we're faced with here is taking shrwd's comments as though they're the Nitrox Gospel. I have no reason to. He cites no specific cases, when he could link to news sites that have covered this (without divulging corporate information) and if they weren't reported by the news media, the question remains: did they even happen?.

Genesis has cited NASA tests for this one that show the opposite. While he can become very impassioned about things (to the point of being offensive and his argument bording on ludicrous), I believe that he often knows what he's talking about more than most of the people around here.

There it is -- if you want to prove your point, cite examples. I know that as a college student, I cannot write a paper that I expect to be taken seriously without a) having sources other than my own head and b) citing those sources. Even if the conclusions drawn are mine, it must follow from established teaching.

If everybody in the world thought enough to cite their sources when entering into an argument, then things would certainly fizzle down a lot quicker.

You sure that you weren't banned from those other boards because you made too many comments like this one?!? :rolleyes:

Too many more like that and you'll not be welcomed by many here.

KrisB once bubbled...
What we're faced with here is taking shrwd's comments as though they're the Nitrox Gospel. I have no reason to. He cites no specific cases, when he could link to news sites that have covered this (without divulging corporate information) and if they weren't reported by the news media, the question remains: did they even happen?.

Indeed. A person would be a fool to assume anything they see on the internet is fact. There are more wingnuts here than in a hardware store.

Now shrwdtech most likely is a tech for Sherwood. And he may may have seen a regulator flash with less than 40% O2. But then again, he could have just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

James Goddard once bubbled...
But then again, he could have just stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I heard it was the Ramada. Some guy I talked to at the supermarket knows the girl who's dating the night clerk there told me. Must be true. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom