Nitrox Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
did it explode? someone shoot it with a rifle?

yeah, blame the tank for running out of gas...

Some people are just not taking this thread seriously.... :shakehead

Seriously, though, I had no idea they were so expensive ($320). I could get a nice new PST E series chrome-moly tank for that.

Edit: Nevermind I was looking at the official retail price that someone had posted not actual street price... But still, you can get a nice pony bottle for that.

NWGratefulDiver:
Apt description ... given some excerpts from the "testimonials" page on the Spare Air web site ...

All of these situations are a result of not following the training protocols you're supposed to learn as part of your Basic Open Water training.

I guess it's slightly better than not having a redundant air source ... but these quotes from the Spare Air web site are all examples of situations that could have been easily avoided with the application of a little common sense.

Seems like they're just promoting stupid insurance ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This just proves if it wasn't for spare air the gene pool would produce smarter people.

liberato:
Where have you been? Didn't you know it is used all the time in diver training to prepare divers for deep dives? :11ztongue Nitrous In Diving :11ztongue
OMG, Using that logic we could have the Inebriate Driving Academy. By the time you graduate you will be able to drive a school bus safely after a 6 pack :wink:

cancun mark:
OTOH, I do know that Mitch from Baywatch uses one on a regular basis to swim to 120' for 20 minutes while fighting giant electric moray eels, ...

So I guess he's got a great SAC... assuming he used all the air up (meaning he'd need another spair air to surface with...) that gives him a SAC of .033 ... Hey Uncle Pug isn't that about your consumption rate? Maybe that SpairAir doubles rig isn't such a bad idea after all :wink:

now let's see... Rock Bottom with 3cf at 120fsw...

After watching a safety show on how to escape a submerged car, I think that would be a good use for a spare air. Of course imagine the hilarity that would ensue if in your panic to cut yourself out of the seatbelt you grabbed the fire extinguisher by mistake.

There I was at 90 feet in my 1970 Pinto, and my seatbelt was stuck. I reached under the seat for my handy spareair and sucked a few puffs. It tasted like sulfur and pain mixed together! -- John the DIP (Doing it PADI) instructor

Uncle Pug:
Well... it makes just as much sense as the original SpareAir.
Yeah, and every soccer mom driving a giant SUV instead of a fuel effecient station wagon or mini van makes sense, too.

DIR VS PADI
LDS VS LeisurePro
Snorkel or not
Spare Air

These horses should be so dead by now, we should see them in a mummy case. And yet we keep beating them. No one has changed anyones mind.

(Yes, I still have my Spare Air doubles that I bought on E-Bay, did 20 minutes at 10 ft just to play with the thing.)

PhotoTJ:
(Yes, I still have my Spare Air doubles that I bought on E-Bay, did 20 minutes at 10 ft just to play with the thing.)

They make Spare Air doubles?

Does it come with an isolation manifold? :cool:

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom