Nitrox Spare Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[HIJACK]TJ,

Whatever happened with the ripoff you suffered? Ever catch the numbnuts? Ever get any of your stuff back? Insurance pay off? (Tell me you didn't score the spareaire off ebay with your insurance payoff...)

I'd be more concerned about hijacking the thread if the thread were going anywhere meaningful, which it obviously isn't.

Hope you got some satisfactory closure on that.

[/HIJACK]

And now, back to your regularly scheduled spareaire waste of bandwidth...

The little one reminds me of a large can of cheez-wiz.
Narced, hungry at 100' fsw? Break out your Sea-Wiz (optional underwater taco dispenser extra) :)

PhotoTJ:
....... No one has changed anyones mind.

I'm not sure you can categorically state that. While some of these threads are less than informative, others provide food for thought for those interested in the issue. I know of specific cases where the arguements made have not only changed minds, but have changed diving practices also.

Practically speaking, it just seems too small, at too high a price point, to be worthwhile. By definition it's being used when something has gone basically wrong. How fast would a new diver (who else is really likely to have the majority of the OOA causes listed on the page), a relatively misfortune prone one at that (or REALLY rusty) suck that baby down?

PhotoTJ:
..snip..
These horses should be so dead by now, we should see them in a mummy case. And yet we keep beating them. No one has changed anyones mind.
..snip..

It's always difficult to know how many people are being influenced by a thread. This one already has well over one thousand views. The participants are a minority.
Many viewers accompany new threads but can't be bothered to use the search function or were not even aware that such an aberration even existed so they would never search for it.

Am I the only person who thinks their list of 21 ways you could run out of air could be shortened a bit?

At least 5 of them could fall under the heading of "blown, cracked, generally gubbed o-rings".

Ah sales pitch...don't ya love it?!?!

But you can tell that they understand their product - as their FAQ states:

SPARE AIR is the smallest redundant SCUBA system available yet.

Quite.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Web Monkey:
They make Spare Air doubles?

Does it come with an isolation manifold? :cool:

Terry

I would hope so. If they're not thinking about gas management why would they even want to consider thinking about switching between a set of independent doubles? :D

miketsp:
It's always difficult to know how many people are being influenced by a thread. This one already has well over one thousand views. The participants are a minority.
Many viewers accompany new threads but can't be bothered to use the search function or were not even aware that such an aberration even existed so they would never search for it.

When I first started researching for SCUBA I considered a pony or spare air at some point in my future diving hobby... then I came across a few threads like this one, read them, agreed with the logic that planning ahead and careful management negated 99% of the need for spare air type rigs and the additional task loading they incurred (along with the additional maintenance, which if not done on your regular gear would not happen on your spare air and cause just as many problems as with your redundant gear too) So I changed my mind rather quickly, now I work at building up habits that will prevent the need for a redundant air supply being needed... I check my air at the shop when I pick up the tank, when I put my reg on it, just before entering the water and at the bottom after my initial descent. I check it again every 5 min. thereafter. I make sure I can reach my valve just in case it was shut off. I make sure I am either at a depth where a CSA is easy or my buddy is within 1 breath of me (definitely preferred) . I clean my gear and dissasemble and clean the second stage frequently to clear it of sand that has worked it's way inside. I learned to calculate Rock Bottom times and don't push the limits of my air supply. When I start doing dives that do push those limits it's time to switch to a doubles rig for me...

Just the opinion of one diver whose view was changed because of a similar thread...

Aloha, Tim

You guys have no imagination how to improve business.
I have the idea of a life time. :eyebrow:
Since air and nitrox taste like .....nothing, how about a cherry flavoured spare air?. This way the one more breath will taste like something and if it's the last, than at least your last breath will be sweeeeeet.
If it finds acceptancy, you could expand into other flavours too. :D

Oceanic Alpha 7 SP4 - $99.00
Aqua Pony Tank -19cf. - $106.95

Total - $205.95

Cheapest complete tank/first/second stage pony setup minus sling from www.leisurepro.com...and its still less than the nitrox spare air.

Thats rediculous.

-Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom