NITROX stickers or paint?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AT Grimaldi

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have 2 PST steel 120s, a 30 yellow Catalina Pony and 3 AL80 Catalina yellow.

I have been using the NITROX stickers, but they are getting trashed after only a few uses.

Any ideas as to paining cylinders NITROX?

Also, I want to put some sort of meaningful marking on the tank below the valve, but above the DOT markings to let others know this is my tank, don't use it, when it is in the rack on a boat or on a beachfront scattered with other similar tanks.

Any ideas?

Any stencils work better than others on a rounded surface?

Any suggestions for matching NITROX colors and what spraypaints to use?

Do I cover them with any sort of clear coating? Any suggestions?

Any liability as to doing this?

- AT

AT Grimaldi once bubbled...
I have been using the NITROX stickers, but they are getting trashed after only a few uses.
Don't worry about how they look... how they function is what is important.
If you're really worried about appearance, buy some extras from your dive shop and replace them when they start to look bad.

The "bumper sticker" is enough of an attention getter. Beyond that, I use a piece of duct tape over the crown with red felt-tip clearly indicating MOD and mixture.

The markings follow NO legal, DOT, or CGA requirement. ANY marking other than MOD and mixture could actually expose you to liability, but probably won't. The band is a dive industry requirement.

Trimix diving is no different from nitrox diving when it comes to dealing with O2, but the inert gas issues pose real (and imagined) differences that could make simply grabbing a tank and diving even more dangerous... yet what kind of special markings are on tanks used for trimix? A contents label... often only duct tape.
No fancy band, no special paint, no stencil... on a tank that could contain a gas that, in an extreme example, will KILL you if you try to use it above 20ft or will get you bent if you dive it to 60ft on an air table/computer.

Skip all the stickers. paint and stuff like that.

Get a strip of duct tape or gas analysis tape and use that to mark your tanks according to the mix.

EANx n% MOD n That's all

All the other clutter does nothing but cause problems.

Keep it simple and save your money.

DIR Tec Diver once bubbled...
Skip all the stickers. paint and stuff like that.

Get a strip of duct tape or gas analysis tape and use that to mark your tanks according to the mix.

EANx n% MOD n That's all

All the other clutter does nothing but cause problems.

Keep it simple and save your money.

Easy to do when you don't have the shop monkeys refusing to fill your tanks because they don't have nitrox labels. I recently couldn't get a fill from banked 32% because my tank wasn't labeled for nitrox. It's BS, but they do it.

Laser once bubbled...

Easy to do when you don't have the shop monkeys refusing to fill your tanks because they don't have nitrox labels. I recently couldn't get a fill from banked 32% because my tank wasn't labeled for nitrox. It's BS, but they do it.

I have the same problems. All of my tanks have to be labeled with NITROX to get a fill from even a banked source. One shop monkey refused to fill my tank with BANKED 36% cause they werent O2 clean. I tried to argue that O2 clean was for PP fills and doesnt apply to banked nitrox. Needless to say in his mind i was wrong and he was right.....lol.

HEY I RESEMBLE THAT TERMINOLOGY!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled programming:

we dont require people to have NITROX stickers on their tanks for NITROX fills... Only the MOD and EAN%. and name...

Thats all foks...

LUBOLD8431 once bubbled...

we dont require people to have NITROX stickers on their tanks for NITROX fills... Only the MOD and EAN%. and name...

If you guys ever relocate to California let me know......and uhm sorry about the shop monkey remark, at least you seem intelligent for a shop monkey :D:monkey:

That's terrible.

Well, of course you have to comply with the local regulations, but that seems absurd to mandate you put stickers all over the place. I bet if you found a DIR friendly shop that would not be an issue, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

lal7176 once bubbled...

All of my tanks have to be labeled with NITROX to get a fill from even a banked source. One shop monkey refused to fill my tank with BANKED 36% cause they werent O2 clean. I tried to argue that O2 clean was for PP fills and doesnt apply to banked nitrox. Needless to say in his mind i was wrong and he was right.....lol.

Unfortunately, right or wrong, some of us "shop monkeys" feel that our bosses have the right to dictate store policy to us, since they own the business and sign our checks. I agree that banked EANx, you shouldn't have to have O2clean tanks but if that is what the boss wants, he does pay the bills.
If you get to the east coast look me up. I'll set you up with some good ole boys that will give you whatever kind of fill you want at whatever pressure. They are firm believers that rules and regulations weren't meant for them.

1 - talk to the shop and see if they require you to have your tanks marked for EANx....if so...get some more stickers and just avoid the argument later...if not, don't worry about it.

2 - make sure you have a 'standard' way of marking your tanks with EANx % and MOD....that way you won't forget where to look, and you'll be able to tell quickly if something's wrong

3 - a dremel should be able to do a little engraving on the top of the tank without any side effects to the tank.

Back
Top Bottom