Nitrox tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hohumm. Let's see, unclean compressors are creating "Claymores" and unseen carbon monoxide is out there. Yeah, well, about the Claymore; if you don't tighten the lug nuts on your car you might think you are riding a claymore. If lightning stikes your azz you won't have to worry about fathering children. A lot of "ifs" out there and clean air is just another of many. A presumption of care is included in any procedure where handlling high pressure gas is concerned. However, going nuts is not necessary, even when handling oxygen. Use common sense and enough knowledge to know when not to light up.

Does anybody know how carbon monoxide can form in an oxygen rich environment and further, how any combustion could take place in a Scuba cylinder without the residue being detected by the diver? Do you honestly think that CO can form without noxious byproducts which would reek with odor? Has this ever happened, carbon monoxide forming in a Scuba cylinder through undetectable spontaneous combustion or through some, as yet unmentioned, mysterious process? I've never heard of it. I've heard a load of BS claims, however.

pescador775:
Does anybody know how carbon monoxide can form in an oxygen rich environment... in a Scuba cylinder without the residue being detected by the diver?
I'd hate to insult you by implying like you don't know undergraduate-level chemistry, but the simple answer to "Does anybody know...?" is "Yes."

pescador775:
Does anybody know how carbon monoxide can form in an oxygen rich environment and further,
Adiabatic forces provide the heat. Hydrocarbons provide the fuel, and pure oxygen will make a LOT of things combust at far lower temperatures.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and without taste.

Apparently, common sense is not that common.

JAMIE MCG:
For all the reply's, I always assumed that the difference was thickness of tank or something allong those line, now I know. Just to clarifie the tank is new, however the LDS filled with air, they don't have EAN, so when I use up the first tank I could still have EAN if it's Banked or Membrane filled? or do I need to have it cleaned again before puttin EAN in it?

are you certified for nitrox?

pescador775:
Hohumm. Let's see, unclean compressors are creating "Claymores" and unseen carbon monoxide is out there. Yeah, well, about the Claymore; if you don't tighten the lug nuts on your car you might think you are riding a claymore. If lightning stikes your azz you won't have to worry about fathering children. A lot of "ifs" out there and clean air is just another of many. A presumption of care is included in any procedure where handlling high pressure gas is concerned. However, going nuts is not necessary, even when handling oxygen. Use common sense and enough knowledge to know when not to light up.

Does anybody know how carbon monoxide can form in an oxygen rich environment and further, how any combustion could take place in a Scuba cylinder without the residue being detected by the diver? Do you honestly think that CO can form without noxious byproducts which would reek with odor? Has this ever happened, carbon monoxide forming in a Scuba cylinder through undetectable spontaneous combustion or through some, as yet unmentioned, mysterious process? I've never heard of it. I've heard a load of BS claims, however.

While I agree with most of what you're saying, the only person who it really matters to is the guy putting pure O2 in the tank. If he says "nope, not without cleaning it first," then it won't get filled. Sort of like older Luxfer tanks or missing/out of date VIP stickers; you can argue until you're blue in the face and it still won't get filled. It's his butt on the line if something goes boom. No amount of yelling will change that. If you want to fill the tank without cleaning it or even looking inside, have at it, but don't try to tell me that it'll all be peachy and that I should ignore everything I've been taught just because you say so.

Divin'Hoosier:
You could. If you however have it filled with air that is not hyperclean or oxygen clean air, you are then limited in the kinds of Nitrox fills you can get. Filling Nitrox using the partial pressure method requires an oxygen clean tank. Once you put non-oxygen clean air into the tank (i.e. standard Grade E air from a non-nitrox fill site), it is no longer oxygen clean. Filling with banked Nitrox or filling via the membrane method would still be fine with the tank.

Grade E air IS what is used to fill using the partial pressure method

JAMIE MCG:
For all the reply's, I always assumed that the difference was thickness of tank or something allong those line, now I know. Just to clarifie the tank is new, however the LDS filled with air, they don't have EAN, so when I use up the first tank I could still have EAN if it's Banked or Membrane filled? or do I need to have it cleaned again before puttin EAN in it?

Jamie MCG:
Not trying to sound like a jerk here....:
Of all the replys you have gotten i think the one that made the most sense to me was duckster3d. He asked are you certified for Nitrox. This is a very important question. Im going with the "you are not certifed answer". You asked a very good question but if you go thru the class you will learn alot. The book alone will probably answer all your questions. Until you take the class, honestly i wouldnt be worried too much about NITROX. When you are qualified you will be able to better understand what everyone is saying here about your gear and what not..

I also agree with the question about being Enriched Air Nitrox certified. You ask a lot of good questions which make it sound as if you are not certified for EANx use. Almost all your questions would be answed if you had taken such an EANx certification class. Its a valuable class and I highly recommend taking it as it gives you much more information and ability to use Enriched Air Nitrox mixtures safely and gain certain benefits from its use.

JAMIE MCG:

Here read this:http://www.gasdiving.co.uk/pages/misc/Nitrox.htm

Yes I have a NITROX card, I guess I missed the tank part, I'll go back and reread it.
I guess what lead me to believe that there was a difference is there's a price difference between air and Nitrox tanks.

Thanks for ya'lls help.

Back
Top Bottom