Nitrox without dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novasquid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does one really need a dive computer to use nitrox? When people ask about recommendations for their first dive computer, a lot of people say it should be nitrox capable so they can grow into it.

My wife and I plan to take the nitrox course but she has no interest in wearing or carrying a separate dive computer aside from the usual SPG. I plan to get one, probably an Aeris Elite T3 or an Oceanic Veo 3.0.

Can we both plan dives with only one computer, assuming the one without a computer never goes deeper than the other?

Poor gas management, using one computer for two people. If she enjoys the math she can do her own calculations (you'll learn more about this in the Nitrox class) Personally I would not dive without my own PDC (personal dive computer) as it not only tracks my gas but it also accounts for my multi-level profile. Lets me dive more and gives a more true picture of my activity. If she gets a air integrated console computer it would be the same as her carrying an spg/depth console, but better.

My 2 psi.

You can use the nitrox dive tables - no computer needed.

Or use the air tables - however you will give up the longer no-decompression limits that using nitrox affords to you.

The computer gives you a more accurate NDL time as it accounts somewhat for your multi-level diving .

You can use a computer in air mode - but again you lose the longer NDL times that nitrox affords to you.

Good if you want a more conservative dive.

If one diver has a computer and the other dive tables - the dive tables should be the limiting factor for you dive.

Unless you buy a used computer you would be hard pressed to find a new one that does not have nitrox capability.

My wife and I plan to take the nitrox course but she has no interest in wearing or carrying a separate dive computer aside from the usual SPG. I plan to get one, probably an Aeris Elite T3 or an Oceanic Veo 3.0.

Can we both plan dives with only one computer, assuming the one without a computer never goes deeper than the other?

Your wife, besides spg, she needs to know her dive time and depth, right? If she already have a timer and depth gauge, no computer is fine. Just make sure she know how to use table. But if she has no other instruments besides spg, I would say it is a big NO.

Diving on someone else's computer is an absolute no no under any circumstances irrespective of whether you are talking nitrox or air.

If you truly want to avoid buying another computer then you have two options.
1. Dive nitrox tables but will likely lose the benefit of Nitrox in prolonging dives as even a multilevel planner won't give you full benefit of full multilevel diving (without some major math going on) and straight tables definitely won't.

2. You could dive air computer and that might add a safety factor to your dives as your nitrogen is calculated higher than it really is (controversial) but you would lose benefit of longer dives. Make sure to pay attention to MOD and O2,levels (easy to calculate from the tables).

My advice. Sell your spg on eBay and buy a new spg/computer combo or keep SPG and get a separate wrist unit. They can be bought cheaply for a basic but highly functional one.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I like the mares puck. Simple does nitrox amazon 170 bucks. Don't want to wear it like a watch put it on a bungee or stick it in a pocket. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

:hm: want to do math or want to dive?

Computers do math very well.

you don't need a computer, but each should have their own depth gauge and bottom timer. These are essential tools of diving. If you have these and a knowledge of the tables, then you don't need anything else. If you don't have these, then you are not diving safely. If she is relying on your computer and somehow you get separated, how is she to know where she is in the water column, what her rate of ascent is, and whether or not she needs to extend her safety stop? You can say it won't happen, but you cannot guarantee it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom