Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnnyseko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone recommend a shop to do Nitrox certification locally??

My dilemma is I work nights, so daytime weekday would be ideal. Could make arrangements to do a weekend. Seems PG Dive does theirs on Tues nights....

Pier dive in 'gansett is accomodating @ $175 for the class:11:

Odyssey scuba in Rehoboth is closing!!!:(

Hi Johnny, $99 at my shop in Lakeland (about 25 minutes from Tampa). Study the material at home and take a class/test that lasts about 2 hours. Walt is great, he will do it pretty much on your schedule. On my second dive of the day with Tracy I had to surface with about 1300 psi because I was diving air and was out of time.... I knew it was time to go to nitrox! If you want, I can send you the book, and just schedule the class/test next time your in town.

Scott

I did my basic Nitrox class w/ South Shore Divers(SSD) back in October. To my surprise, the instructor(and owner of the shop) Al said that PADI has removed the diving portion of the class and only requires classroom and homework. I can't remember the cost, but it did include the text, dvd, cert card and one night in the classroom. SSD also fills Nitrox.

LobstaMan

Unless the instructor actually adds content to the class during the dives, they are completely unnecessary, as the act of breathing nitrox does little to further one's understanding of it. If instructors added content, I'd be all for it, but it seems that it's just a jump in and get wet type thing.

Aquatic Escapes in Londonderry, NH will schedule class as your available. They are SSI and I just picked up my Nitrox books a couple of weeks ago. Shop manager is Ed King. As with other programs, no dive necessary. Just a few hours of classroom work.

Soggy:
Unless the instructor actually adds content to the class during the dives, they are completely unnecessary, as the act of breathing nitrox does little to further one's understanding of it. If instructors added content, I'd be all for it, but it seems that it's just a jump in and get wet type thing.

Well there is no magic to diving with Nitrox. Ha ha - you can't tell the difference. The real point to the course is understanding the NDL implications and to learn how to check your own gas. Knowing what is in your tank is the most important part of the course.

I too vote for a course with Tom Huff at Northeast Scuba in Chelmsford.

--Matt

Scott5644:
Hi Johnny, $99 at my shop in Lakeland (about 25 minutes from Tampa). Study the material at home and take a class/test that lasts about 2 hours. Walt is great, he will do it pretty much on your schedule. On my second dive of the day with Tracy I had to surface with about 1300 psi because I was diving air and was out of time.... I knew it was time to go to nitrox! If you want, I can send you the book, and just schedule the class/test next time your in town.

Scott

PM sent!

Thanks everyone for the replies! Seems all the LDS's only run night classes midweek. Cheaper and faster for me to take the course in FL.:wink: Thanks Scott!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom