Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get Nitrox certified.

If you love to do four dives a day over multiple days, Nitrox is going to help keep your Nitrogen levels down.

A very well respected OP allowed my Cuz who has been diving for 30 years to dive Nitrox without certification. However this was a dive with a hard bottom of 60~70 feet, and she had a computer that handled Nitrox and we went over the dive tables (we did a flat profile), and discussed P02 as well. So even though she was not certified, she got the quickie overview of using higher O2 mixes, and there was no possibility of going deeper than the gas would allow.

However for an OP to suggest Nitrox to just some customer over the phone is rather worrisome. I don't know the rules in MX, but it would make sense to follow the standard agency rules, and EVERY agency offers Nitrox training, and insists on Nitrox certification before diving with Nitrox.

Dive1Dennis:
I would not have guessed that there are any agencies that only teach the two 'standard' nitrox mixes. I agree that that such a course would be one to avoid. :shakehead:
PADI has standard dive tables for EAN36 and EAN32. They also have the EAD table for diving any other mix. Some other agencies probably do the same.

Would you prefer that they NOT supply the precalculated tables for the two most common mixes?

Charlie99:
PADI has standard dive tables for EAN36 and EAN32. They also have the EAD table for diving any other mix. Some other agencies probably do the same.

Would you prefer that they NOT supply the precalculated tables for the two most common mixes?

While PADI does supply 32, and 36, they also teach planning dives on other mixes, and that is in the test.

As a LOT of places bank 32 and 36, those are common. However I use my computer rather than a table for dive planning as It will provide NDL times for any mix I enter, and take into account my pressure group based on the multi level diving I have done to date on a trip.

Charlie99:

Having tables for these two is one thing but knowing how to adjust to anything is another...
Almost all of my dives are over 30m and it's nice to know how to calculate best mix and not depend on air (since 32% and 36% are out of question) - btw. I do most of my math with my mobile phone - it's not so hard - it all gets down to: + - * /

I was originally nitrox trained by IANTD, but I'm familiar with the PADI tables and their EAD table covers other nitrox mixes than 32% and 36%. Though if you memorized std air tables, the 20% adjustment from EAN32 is so simple you don't even need a calculator. YMMV, always dive within your education and experience!

To the OP, if I was going to Coz I would definitely spend a few hours on a classroom only nitrox course before I left because there are a lot of deeper dives there. Trust-me dives aren't safe, because you don't know what you don't know. :) The most important calculation is MOD (maximum operating depth), you should know -- not calculate, know! -- what the maximum safe depth is for any nitrox gas. Don't rely on your dive computer for this, because you may forget to set it to nitrox or set the correct EAN.

BTW, the most important skill is to know how to analyze your tank for yourself, and you can be shown that in 10 minutes, tops!

John

John_B:
BTW, the most important skill is to know how to analyze your tank for yourself, and you can be shown that in 10 minutes, tops!
Yeah, but to give that skill value, you need to know the how and the why of the MOD.

hvulin:
Having tables for these two is one thing but knowing how to adjust to anything is another...
As I noted, PADI supplies an EAD table for doing dive planning for mixes other than EAN32 and 36. Are you saying that they should have complete dive tables already precalculated for every mix?

Just in case "EAD table" is unclear, what PADI supplies a plastic card with EAD that for mixes from 30% to 40% has entries for EAD and ppO2 for depth increments of 10'. If you want to use EAN28, you have to use the formulae taught in the course.

Bubble Junky:
Yeah, but to give that skill value, you need to know the how and the why of the MOD.
Oh, agree 100%.

But if someone only ever used their nitrox computer (it happens) they still should know (have memorized) the MOD for the standard nitrox mixes and know how to analyze their own tanks.

John

Charlie99:

Not at all. My entry level nitrox was the PADI course so I have the EAN32 and EAN36 tables. I was also taught the EAD table the MOD calculation, etc. I would be concerned if some agency only did 32 and 36.

I believe that we are in agreement!

hvulin:
just tell them to give you air and enjoy the dives...

later on when you get the time do a course and don't worry!
btw. when you choose a course try taking the one that teaches you everything regardless of %O2 (all the way to 50%) and not just 32% or 36% with 2 new tables - that one is useless! after the course you should be able to calculate everything for yourself (MOD, best mix....) and not depend on only 2 mixes without understanding what lies behind it - after all, the math behind it is easy
I've never heard of a class that only teaches the 2 additional tables. I think that could be dangerous since you are not guarenteedto always get 32 or 36%. I'm sure I would never teach it as such.

Back
Top Bottom