no dive buddy, dive solo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think if you automatically assume a mask on a diver's forehead equates to a panicked diver, your assessment and observation skills are sorely lacking.

I think if you automatically assume a mask on a diver's forehead equates to a panicked diver, your assessment and observation skills are sorely lacking.

I have never been witness to the suggested relationship between MOF and panicked diver. But I have seen the relationship between MOF and lost mask a few times.

I have never personally seen MOF + panic at the surface either. MOF leading to a lost mask I have seen...pretty easy to lose a mask, at least temporarily, in a lake.

I have never personally seen MOF + panic at the surface either. MOF leading to a lost mask I have seen...pretty easy to lose a mask, at least temporarily, in a lake.

MOF + panic at the surface is a minor aside which was turned into a mantra. Gear rejection, including MOF, can be a sign of panic. This small observation is IMHO receiving far more attention than it is worth. MOF is not necessarily equated with panic.

I dive solo all the time. The dive ops know me, and they know my skills, so they don't mind. Most dive ops won't allow it though, and it's for your own safety. You must always remember that it can be more dangerous without a buddy if you're not trained, experienced, and have the proper equipment to be safe. Self rescue is taught in the rescue course, so that should be your #1 priority. Secondly, the essential equipment (my opinion) is a redundant air supply, redundant surface marker buoys, other surface signaling devices, a light, and cutting tools. This also depends on where you're diving. I regularly dive solo in south FL from Jupiter down to Boynton. Many times I've started a dive with a buddy and ended up solo because of currents, poor vis, etc, and other times I'd just rather be alone. Most of the diving down here is drift diving, and that adds a little more danger to solo diving, but I have the experience and equipment to do it safely.

As far as depth goes, that again depends on where your diving. In a lake or quarry with poor vis and lots of obstacles, you could get into serious trouble in 20 ft of water. Think about it.

Good point. I guess if it were you or me solo diving shallow probably the worst that could happen would be a empty tank requiring a visual to check for moisture. But if someone was down 90 feet it could be real nasty -- so he had better have a pony.

And possibly a 1st stage that flooded and will be in need of a rebuild. :(

I dive solo but prefer a good buddy. Diving solo can be relaxing, but sharing the dive with a friend is better. So here are some places to find buddies.

Dive Clubs - Every state has them. Your job is to find them and assess their value to you. Don't judge them too fast. Give them some time.

Dive Shops - Visit the shops in your area looking for buddies.

ScubaBoard - Yes we have a buddy finder but I have not tried it out. Maybe you can comment on it.

Internet Clubs - These can be local and some are very popular.

Boat Clubs - This could lead to diving as boaters are often in touch with the dive community.

Show Up - If you have local water show up and see if you can hook up with folks going out.

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom