No Ferry To Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So my local paper in Oregon says that a judge has allowed the ferrys to set sail again. Did this really happen? Are they back in business?

what a fiasco

and the bit the judge rules about only two cars every five minutes or so was bagged too.

Now they just have to hire cops. ...there is something in this for everyone.

and the bit the judge rules about only two cars every five minutes or so was bagged too.
But still only two cars per minute. So..... X number of cars divided by 2 is how many minutes to get your car off if you are at the back? :14:

Still no service to Kauai, only Maui. The whackos are still doing all they can to derail things.

Psst, the depleted uranium shipments start at noon, pass it on.

I find it funny that they limit the number of cars getting off there - it's one of the largest highways on the island, plus it's happening at a non-peak time, so who will it bother - they don't limit the hundreds of cars getting onto the same road 2 miles later when school lets out at Maui High? Bad traffic is in Lahaina and Kihei, and neither one is anywhere what Oahu sees.

BTW - I get asked almost daily what I think of this by tourists. I try to ask them first what their impression is, and so far all but one of them have said nearly the same thing in different ways "I'd hate to try and start a business in Hawaii" ... I just have to agree...

Aloha, Tim

BTW - I get asked almost daily what I think of this by tourists. I try to ask them first what their impression is, and so far all but one of them have said nearly the same thing in different ways "I'd hate to try and start a business in Hawaii" ... I just have to agree...

Aloha, Tim

I agree also. Not a place for any business to thrive. They'll get beat down and wish they'd never come, much as I'm sure the ferry folks are now.

Then the locals can complain even more about no jobs.

The latest is that Judge August has told DOT to restripe the intersection back to the original condition, and has also set aside his "2 cars per minute limitation".

In the original hearings the DOT guys said that the best action was to wait and see how the traffic flowed and only then make changes. The judge asked what changes would DOT make, and then ordered them. The change has been causing a traffic nightmare for the last few months because it effectively cut down to one lane what used to be two lanes turning left from Puunene onto Kaahumanu (Basically the route that anybody from Kihei takes to get to Wailuku or Queen Kaahumanu center, or east Kahului.).

What's weird is that there is still a trial scheduled for February on these traffic matters --- Maui Tomorrow et al against the State DOT. Superferry isn't a party. Judge August says that the whole matter is related to the 2025 harbor plan, not the superferry, and the Act 2 passed by the special session has no bearing on the case.

Bad traffic is in Lahaina and Kihei, and neither one is anywhere what Oahu sees.
Unfortunately, the other really nasty bit of traffic is Dairy Road in Kahului --- just about everyone coming and going from the airport has to traverse the length of Dairy Road. It also has to carry all traffic coming from Lahaina that is headed for Hana Highway.

I wonder how many decades it will be before someone wakes up to the fact that they should cut a bypass road through back behind Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes --- kind of like the narrow bumpy Hansen Road, but also connecting to the terminal side of the airport. It a short distance, level, empty land. It would be a really good traffic improvement for the cost, so that means it probably won't happen. Kind of like Mokulele highway upgrade that has taken years, when most of the improvement could have been done by just adding multiple turn lanes right around the light at Kihei end of the highway.

Charlie Allen

Then the locals can complain even more about no jobs.

I haven't heard that complaint. I've only heard the complaint that they can't find jobs that pay well enough to live off one full-time job.

Remember, Hawaii has one of the lowest unemployment rates of the Americas.

Unfortunately, the other really nasty bit of traffic is Dairy Road in Kahului --- just about everyone coming and going from the airport has to traverse the length of Dairy Road. It also has to carry all traffic coming from Lahaina that is headed for Hana Highway.

And most of the tourist traffic headed for Hana from Kihei, too -- not many know about Hansen.

I wonder how many decades it will be before someone wakes up to the fact that they should cut a bypass road through back behind Walmart/Home Depot/Lowes --- kind of like the narrow bumpy Hansen Road, but also connecting to the terminal side of the airport. It a short distance, level, empty land. It would be a really good traffic improvement for the cost, so that means it probably won't happen.

I don't think any of us will see that in our lifetimes. :(

Kind of like Mokulele highway upgrade that has taken years, when most of the improvement could have been done by just adding multiple turn lanes right around the light at Kihei end of the highway.

I don't think that would have solved all the woes, Charlie. The Mokulele needs to be two lanes in each direction to account for some of the idiot drivers that stick to the speed limit and cause traffic to back up all the way to Kahului. I don't think they needed to realign it with the Piilani -- what a mess right now!

Well it's been back in service for a couple of days now. The companys says that it has lost 10's of millions of dollars not just in lost revenue. That it costs them a half of a million dollars a week, just to not operate. That's 7 million dollars alone.

But it's back, for now.

Back
Top Bottom