No Ferry To Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least one of the groups that is fighting for an EA before opperation has filed an appeal with the Hawaii Supreme Court over the last ruling by Judge Cardoza. The issue will be the constitutionality of the emergency law that basically overturned the EA before opperation ruling. We have been having gusty trades lately and the ferry has been taking the route between Lanai and Molokai (over Penguin Bank) that they promised to use only in foul weather (at only 25 knots supposedly).

At least one of the groups that is fighting for an EA before opperation has filed an appeal with the Hawaii Supreme Court over the last ruling by Judge Cardoza. The issue will be the constitutionality of the emergency law that basically overturned the EA before opperation ruling. We have been having gusty trades lately and the ferry has been taking the route between Lanai and Molokai (over Penguin Bank) that they promised to use only in foul weather (at only 25 knots supposedly).
I was on it on Thursday to Oahu -- we took the north side of Molokai. Coming back yesterday (Monday), we were on the south side and definitely going slower. Whenever they showed that screen like the airlines use of where we are and other vital stats, the speed was reported at 20-25 kts.

Incidentally, I can't imagine they *like* this route, as it makes for a longer day for them. We docked at about 10:15 -- not much time to empty it out, clean it up and turn it over for the next departure at 11:30...

I must say, the ship is a nice one. Though the crossing was definitely rough at several points, resembling a roller coaster more than a boat.

Even with their discounted fares, the return trip came to about $200... was only really worth it because it meant I could bring the O2 kit and a stash of lead for the IE candidates. :D

Truly, I think the biggest problem with the ferry was not *that* it happened, but *how* it happened. The greasing of palms is painfully obvious, and their "spin machine" didn't do all it could to win people over. If the NG special on the construction & sea trials of the vessel had been more publicized, I think you'd find a lot less opposition on environmental grounds.

An interesting side note: a comment was made by someone on Oahu this weekend that the protests were likely not driven by any bona-fide environmental group, but instead by Young Brothers... while I'm not sure I believe it, they did have an interesting point in that they are the ones most likely to lose money over this deal.

For anyone that thinks this ship is incapable of avoiding whales... show me any other vessel operating here that can do this (taken during the USCG sea trials):
seatrials2_small.JPG

Oh, and while this looks like they started from a stand-still, there were similar manoeuvres done at full operating speed (45 kts) that had it do a 180 in a similar radius that were shown in the NG special.

So, did you take your car, or no? I can't tell. You only mentioned items.

So, did you take your car, or no? I can't tell. You only mentioned items.
Sorry, yes I did take my car.

Funny thing, though.

So, they're doing the screening, and looking in my trunk and notice a Pelican case holding one of the sets of dive gear. This is what transpired:

Superferry Dude: "Is that a cooler or a suitcase?"
Me: "suitcase."
SD: "what's in there?"
Me: "dive gear."
SD: "so it's not a cooler?"
Me: "nope, a suitcase."
SD: "are there any fish in there?"
Me: "nope, just dive gear."
SD: "So it's a suitcase?"
Me: "yup."
SD: "Did you clean the dive gear?"
Me: "Yes, it's been washed."
SD: "So there's no fish in there?"
Me: "no, no fish."
SD: "Did you wash the dive gear?"
Me: "yes, it's been washed."
SD: "So it's clean?"
Me: "yup."

Next, they look at the plainly marked O2 kit sitting next to it and didn't even blink an eye... and no, I had no declaration of HAZMAT nor is there any sort of placard on the outside of my vehicle. While it's medical O2, a Jumbo-D is still plenty big enough to cause problems, I'm sure.

Sigh...

On the way back (on Oahu), it was even funnier. Just as the vehicles got to the first ramp, they had you step out and they used a metal detector wand... then you get back in your car and drive up onto the ferry.

My question here: what's to stop me from grabbing that weapon that they didn't want on board during those 5+ minutes between the wanding and when I can't be in my car? Sigh.

Looks like the protesters can get a little closer now....

The Coast Guard will enforce a 100-yard moving security zone at Maui's Kahului Harbor for transits of the Hawaii Superferry Alakai, it was announced in a news release today.

Surfers, paddlers, fishermen, boaters and other recreational users may use Kahului Harbor at any time, subject to the restriction they do not approach within 100 yards of the Alakai or any other large passenger vessels when they are in the harbor, the Coast Guard release stated.

The Coast Guard adopted a temporary security zone which included almost the entire port on Dec. 13 as a means of promoting public safety during the transit of the Alakai in and around the harbor. The temporary security zone expires Jan. 31, 2008, but, in the interim, remains a tool the Coast Guard and other law enforcement agencies can use to ensure public safety.

So back in service for two weeks yet they haven't run for a few days now I read.

So back in service for two weeks yet they haven't run for a few days now I read.
not surprising... Maui Co and Big Island have had a wind advisory of gusts to 50 mph.

Though it does make one wonder if there are other things they are discovering.

35 knot winds and 18 foot swells in the channel between Maui and Molokai. 25 knot and 12 foot between Oahu and Molokai.

Considering they had passengers getting seasick on the early runs and more benign conditions...................

Not to mention trying to keep things tied down with those swells, sounds like the operators are using sound judgment. Of course the tinfoil hat crowd will see darker reasons......................

Hey we just watched the Superferry go by the house VERY SLOWLY. (From the east)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom