No ice at Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I called Mike because of all the cold weather we've been having to find out if there is ice on the quarry. He said that it hasn't even skimmed the surface or edge yet, so it should be a go for New Years Day. Man, I'll bet we have some great viz!:D We're planning on viewing the video, "Ice Water Mansions" at about 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

I called Mike because of all the cold weather we've been having to find out if there is ice on the quarry. He said that it hasn't even skimmed the surface or edge yet, so it should be a go for New Years Day. Man, I'll bet we have some great viz!:D We're planning on viewing the video, "Ice Water Mansions" at about 1 or 2 in the afternoon.

Denny, thanks for the post! I was starting to think about asking in a post just to see what it's looking like. I plan on being there!

Ken

I was there last weekend, water temp was about 41F, there is plenty of ice... on the dock.. my boys are still hurting from a little unexpected gymnastics trying to climb out. Viz was about 30ft I feel like it was better back in august.

How was the diving new years day down there? I had been looking forward to going there again this year on the first, but the new manager they hired at work a few months ago decided to let me go so I had no money... Went to Port Huron though for the float down the river, that wasn't too bad (I do not like current at all) at least not as bad as I was expecting...

Anyways, I hope all had a good new years day, and dive if they went.

Paint

Hi Paint!

The dive was a ton of fun down at Gilboa. Too bad you couldn't make it. I know a bunch of divers as well that do the float down in Port Huron. I prefer being underwater if I am going to be in the river vs the new years day float down. Plus, the river is my default dive location if I am not ice diving.

Hi Paint!

The dive was a ton of fun down at Gilboa. Too bad you couldn't make it. I know a bunch of divers as well that do the float down in Port Huron. I prefer being underwater if I am going to be in the river vs the new years day float down. Plus, the river is my default dive location if I am not ice diving.

Glad to hear it went well. It was my first time doing that, and it took the guy who talked me into it 2 and a half weeks to do so lol. I have a thing against current and was very nervous about it. The biggest thing everyone kept telling me was that doing that would help with my un-ease in the current, and it definitely did. I was still nervous as hell when I first got in, but after a few minutes I felt a hell of a lot better. I also prefer being underwater and would have very much preferred a nice deep dive to that, but it still wasn't too bad. I have done a few dives in the river, but the current has always bothered me. Not exactly sure why, or what it is that bothers me about it, but I just don't like it. Deep, dark, cold and ice don't bother me in the least, but current... Another story all together lol. I am still considering it for next year again, and still am not too sure, I will find out when the time comes closer next year I guess...

How many people were there this year? It has actually been quite some time since I have been down there. I was planning to do a ton of diving this year but the place I was working transferred all of us to a new store and my buddy and I were managing it so we had a TON of hours and I had no time for diving... Then they hired a new full time manager who long story short took 35 hours from me his first week, and my job the second so I went from having some money and no time to time and no money lol. Needless to say, a job has not been too easy to come by here in Michigan near me at all so... I am lucky enough to still be in college and living at home so I am ok for now, but I definitely need to find a job soon... Too much money in dive gear and I am not using it nearly as much as I want to.

I had also been planning to start some tech classes end of last year/early this year, that sadly is also out for now so...

Anyways, I wish you all the best, and hope you all have a good time diving.

Paint

As for the river, if you are looking to do some diving there and are worried about the current, diving up by the blue water bridge is not the best idea. There are some great spots down near Marrysville and Marine City that are much better for getting used to the current. There the current is less and the diving is a little easier.

As for the new years day dive, there were about 8 of us in our group and maybe 15-20 divers at Gilboa diving in the morning. It was really nice that the air temps were in the 40's this year. Made for getting suited up and especially getting out of the drysuit much easier and comfortable!

Sorry to hear about the job situation. Im sure you will find something. Hopefully the Michigan Job market will be on the rebound this year. I've got my fingers crossed! :)

Back
Top Bottom