No ice at Gilboa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the river, if you are looking to do some diving there and are worried about the current, diving up by the blue water bridge is not the best idea. There are some great spots down near Marrysville and Marine City that are much better for getting used to the current. There the current is less and the diving is a little easier.

As for the new years day dive, there were about 8 of us in our group and maybe 15-20 divers at Gilboa diving in the morning. It was really nice that the air temps were in the 40's this year. Made for getting suited up and especially getting out of the drysuit much easier and comfortable!

Sorry to hear about the job situation. Im sure you will find something. Hopefully the Michigan Job market will be on the rebound this year. I've got my fingers crossed! :)

As for the river, if you are looking to do some diving there and are worried about the current, diving up by the blue water bridge is not the best idea. There are some great spots down near Marrysville and Marine City that are much better for getting used to the current. There the current is less and the diving is a little easier.

As for the new years day dive, there were about 8 of us in our group and maybe 15-20 divers at Gilboa diving in the morning. It was really nice that the air temps were in the 40's this year. Made for getting suited up and especially getting out of the drysuit much easier and comfortable!

Sorry to hear about the job situation. Im sure you will find something. Hopefully the Michigan Job market will be on the rebound this year. I've got my fingers crossed! :)

I have been diving in Algonac in the St. Clair river before, couple times actually with a friend of mine. Not too bad there. It is really any current though that messes with my head so... Definitely not ready to dive by the bridge though, in time perhaps, but not any time soon... I did a dive awhile back in the Detroit river by the Detroit Princess, wasn't too bad there, I was actually very surprised how slow it was, I had been expecting like wicked fast current there lol. I went once in Marine city too, was actually my first river dive. Wasn't too worried but to be fair, I was on a line lol. I think that was also one of my first dives with the dive team I am on now. 4

Glad to hear the weather was good down there for that. Been cold as hell up here the last few weeks. Last couple nights have been below zero and I have pictures of the thermometer in my kitchen reading -20 Fahrenheit. A few people I have shown the picture too debate its accuracy, but It is a very accurate thermometer. I know it was not windchill too. Where the sensor is located there is no wind at all so...

Sent my suit in a couple days ago for some repairs and possible replacement. Got some seam leaks that are driving me insane! Sadly found a new one on that new years day dive lol, right under my arm too... So hopefully I can just get it replaced, will find out soon enough but either way I hope it can come home soon lol. Been itching since last year to do some ice diving. I made a decision too. If I am unable this year to get any ice diving in after my suit comes back, I am bringing doubles next year and staying under for an hour minimum. Don't care who thinks me stupid for that either lol. I have no problem handling the cold at all and I really do enjoy it under there. Maybe by then I can get a housing for my camera and take pictures of the others too, that would be fun...

Thanks on that note. I hope so too. On the plus side I am almost done with my degrees at school. Would be nice to find something in that field to do... Found out there are some welding scholarships at the college for welding that no one ever uses so might be able to get a welding degree too, half done with the classes, basically I need one lab class, one like "intro to metal" class and then I would just need to take the certification classes and done:) Will be looking into that more this week. If anything it would be a nice thing to add to my resume lol.

Anyways, sorry for taking so long to respond to this, best of luck,

Paint

FYI: Just called yesterday...Whitney says still completely iced over as of 3/3/11.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom