No longer a Great Lakes/boat/wreck virgin!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie 13
I checked with my mid western neighbor and my comment should be:
"Lordy! lordy! may the saints preserve us ! Swimming around underwater like a fish ! "

I am both proud and happy for you ! You have had many obstacles to over come and you met and defeated every one of them--

You are on your way to some day becoming a diver -- not just one who dives

Cheers and a big congratulations from where it all began in SoCal

Sam

Marie.

It's clear that you're an idiot and should stop diving now!!

Only a complete muppet would suggest that 56F (13C) is great conditions - even more so if you think you're warm in a 5mm!! I'm cold in a 7mm at 68F (20C) and clearly I know more than you. Also being a man I'm right and you're wrong:yeahbaby:

I can say that cos' I love her, and enjoy Marie's enthusiasm and really happy and proud you've finally got to dive the great lakes.

PS - I was diving at the weekend - at 18m (60') the water was 35C 95F. That was miserable.

I had perspiration on the inside of my mask even though I was just in shorts and rash vest (which is unheard of for me)

I'm sure you did nothing "wrong." Whatever it is you have in mind, it's probably something that a whole lot of the world's divers have long been doing, in blissful ignorance that it gets critiqued in places like SB. They enjoy themselves all the same and don't seem to be dying in droves. Good job. You had fun. That's what counts.

56F is way into drysuit range for me--with the thicker set of undergarments--so that just amazes me.

I'm sure you did nothing "wrong." Whatever it is you have in mind, it's probably something that a whole lot of the world's divers have long been doing, in blissful ignorance that it gets critiqued in places like SB. They enjoy themselves all the same and don't seem to be dying in droves. Good job. You had fun. That's what counts.

56F is way into drysuit range for me--with the thicker set of undergarments--so that just amazes me.

Just look at the pic. I'm sure you can come up with a few things right off the bat. :wink:

As for the temp thing, I have a high cold tolerance. I can wear sandals in the winter. A light fleece jacket is my outerwear throughout most of a Chicago winter. I keep my heat at 60F - I make it game each fall to see how long I can go without turning on the heat. A nice bonus is a low gas bill. I'd keep it off it I didn't have to worry about pipes freezing. I also have a decent amount of what we refer to as "bioprene." :D:rofl3:

I even wore 3mm gloves yesterday as I can handle hands a bit cold in exchange for better dexterity. That's one thing I prefer about diving dry - the orange vinyl dry gloves are much easier to handle snaps and such with than 5mm gloves.

I wil say that it's nice being dry and warm topside for SIs when diving dry. Diving wet has its advantages when it's hot and humid. I'd melt getting geared up in my drysuit. I don't tolerate heat/humidity very well.

Last edited:
Congrats Marie!
I see you also survived diving without a long hose primary donate bungeed secondary set up. Amazing that alone didn't kill you :)

If you ever make it to the west coast we have several sunken ships with lots of marine life to take you diving on. You might even start o think the fish are as interesting as the wreck.

Congrats Marie!
I see you also survived diving without a long hose primary donate bungeed secondary set up. Amazing that alone didn't kill you :)

If you ever make it to the west coast we have several sunken ships with lots of marine life to take you diving on. You might even start o think the fish are as interesting as the wreck.

I'm not sure if I'm more in danger of dying from the lack of a long hose primary donate bungeed secondary set up or from diving splits.

The west coast has salt water! You want me to dive in salt water?!:eek::rofl3:

Marie.

It's clear that you're an idiot and should stop diving now!!

Only a complete muppet would suggest that 56F (13C) is great conditions - even more so if you think you're warm in a 5mm!! I'm cold in a 7mm at 68F (20C) and clearly I know more than you. Also being a man I'm right and you're wrong:yeahbaby:

I can say that cos' I love her, and enjoy Marie's enthusiasm and really happy and proud you've finally got to dive the great lakes.

PS - I was diving at the weekend - at 18m (60') the water was 35C 95F. That was miserable.

I had perspiration on the inside of my mask even though I was just in shorts and rash vest (which is unheard of for me)

Your post made me laugh my arse off. That heat would make me melt. I'd need a cold shower. Ugh.

Of the 5 people diving off the boat yesterday, 1 guy dove dry. The rest of us dove wet. 1 guy in a semi-dry, 1 guy in a 7mm, and the other gal and I were in 5mm. How's that, hmmm? :D Of course you get cold easily. Your blood has been thinned by living in Heat Central for how many years? :D

Love ya! :)

I love diving the wrecks in the Great Lakes. I am glad you had a good time. I consider in dive above 50 F toasty for me lol (I do dive a 7mm with a hooded vest though). Where are you gonna be diving out of when you come to Lake Huron?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom