No lower valve string pull knob

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Tobin,

Can you tell me why you don’t put a knob on the end of the lower valve string? I’d be able to feel the string even with reef gloves on, but I may have difficulty finding it with my dry gloves/inserts or 5 mm wet gloves - when diving dry.

I haven’t used the BPW with my drysuit yet, but am wondering if other dry suit divers have any issues finding and pulling the valve.

Hi Tobin,

Can you tell me why you don’t put a knob on the end of the lower valve string? I’d be able to feel the string even with reef gloves on, but I may have difficulty finding it with my dry gloves/inserts or 5 mm wet gloves - when diving dry.

I haven’t used the BPW with my drysuit yet, but am wondering if other dry suit divers have any issues finding and pulling the valve.

Toggles or pull knobs on the OPV can get entangled with either the left hip dring, or with stage or deco bottles. No knob = no entanglement.

If you slide your hand down the wing until the opv is between your thumb and forefinger you can easily find the string, just close your thumb and forefinger, and the string will be inside the circle.

Blue gloved, cold water drysuit divers use "just the string" all the time.

Tobin

BEM,

If you find that you still have trouble finding the dump after trying out Tobin's suggestion, you may want to replace the stock string with a thicker one. You can find one way to do that here:

- DIR-diver.com - Dumpvalve DIY Mod

Another option is to double-up the knot at the end of the stock string to create a larger "target" for your fingers.

Good luck,
Ralph

BEM,

If you find that you still have trouble finding the dump after trying out Tobin's suggestion, you may want to replace the stock string with a thicker one. You can find one way to do that here:

- DIR-diver.com - Dumpvalve DIY Mod

Another option is to double-up the knot at the end of the stock string to create a larger "target" for your fingers.

Good luck,
Ralph

Ralph,

We already use #48 line. That's about the thickest you can use without having to modify the OPV cage.

Tobin

I found putting a big knot in the end of the string, combined with a kind of circular motion to find it, worked great. You just have to watch the circular motion -- a friend gradually unscrewed his dump valve cap over time, doing that, and on one dive, it came off in his hand!

I tied an extra knot in mine and so far, so good, I think this may be an issue with stages etc... but not a worry for me yet.

If you are just dieing to have a knob you can get a nice colored bead and tie it on. just cruise by your nearest craft store... it may cost you $0.01+tax.

Tying two knots like this really helps:

oprv8842.jpg

I had the same thought when I received my new DSS setup. Dove it for the first time last weekend in drysuit with 5mm gloves and had no problems finding or pulling the string. Should not be a problem for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom