No more butt ring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I noticed that George is not doing the butt ring anymore and figured somebody might have an opinion on it. I recently moved my lift bag from the butt ring to the hip ring and have found it much easier to deploy from there (especially with doubles and canister light)...other than the hip ring getting crowded on some dives with SPG, Reel, and Bag, I don't see a drawback to going buttringless.

Maybe I will route the crotch strap through it like I did on the scooter ring to keep it there in case I change my mind...

Tombiowami, what did you hear about using the hip d-ring for bags or reels? I thought I remembered you or Ken saying something about them moving away from the butt ring quite a while back.

O-ring once bubbled...
I don't see a drawback to going buttringless.
How are you going to clip off deco bottles to the hip D-ring when you have it cluttered with everything else?

How are you going to tow a scooter or buddy without a buttring?

I agree that the bag does not belong there... but it certainly doesn't belong on the hip either... stow it in the right pocket with spool attached.

Clip your reel (if you need to carry one) in the buttring.

And leave the buttring out and available even if nothing is clipped off to it... there is no snag potential and if you need it during a dive that is not the time to be futzing around undoing your crotch strap and trying to get it back into service.

Can't remember where I saw the guy deploying the lift bag fromt he left d-ring. It may have been in the fundamentals book. This may work for you since you've got a dive marker which has a longer piece of webbing at the bottom. You may want to try moving the butt ring further from the BP, so you have more purchase on the webbing to pull the device out.

Uncle Pug has a good point about clutter on the waist d-ring. I had my safety spool clipped there during the dives this past weekend and found it interfering with the SPG. The safety spool definitely goes in a pocket. MHK also recommended that the lift device was placed in a pocket.

I like having my lift bag stored in the Pak and clipped to the butt-ring. I didn't have a problem deploying with doubles, but then I didn't have the cannister light to deal with. So I can see your point.

Ken

In the Halcyon MC Owner's Manual page 11:
"Alternate lift devices are carried in the Pak folded flat, with the snap connected to the left waist d-ring. To deploy the device simply detach the bolt snap with your left hand and then pull down and to the left."

The webbing on the marker in the picture looks like almost 8". Much longer than what's on my 80# lift bag.

Ken

divernva once bubbled...
I like having my lift bag stored in the Pak and clipped to the butt-ring. I didn't have a problem deploying with doubles, but then I didn't have the cannister light to deal with. So I can see your point.
Ken I too like have the bag stowed in the pak but on one of my rigs I don't have a pak so I do stow it in the pocket which is better if the spool is going to be permanently attached to it.

As for the canister getting in the way of reaching the buttring... correct the problem:

When putting the canister light on the waist band make sure you can still slip your arm between canister and deflated wing,,, that is the position it should be in... then clamp down the ss buckle that holds it in place.

I carry my liftbag in the "storage pak" clipped to my butt ring (with doubles). My left hip has 2 deco bottles and my SPG, already more than busy enough.

When you add deco bottles to the mix, especially 2 of them, the left hip is full up. You're using it now for bags and reels, soon that won't work (I KNOW you're on track to tech). Start thinking of other options.

Where did you hear George has dropped the butt ring? I dived with him a couple weeks ago and I believe he had one then (not certain as I really didn't check!)

Tom

divernva once bubbled...
the snap connected to the left waist d-ring.

The webbing on the marker in the picture looks like almost 8". Much longer than what's on my 80# lift bag.
an alternate to clipping off to the left ring when using the longer leash is to bring it forward between your legs and clip off to the scooter ring.

The thing I don't like about clipping off to the left ring is that it gets too *busy* plus it seems that it is out there where it could snag... but I haven't tried it so I will.

This is how my 80# bag with the short leash looks clipped to the buttring.... (don't get excited - my butt is not in the pic)

I have to leave enough out that I can get a good grab on the bag to pull it free... it comes out easy but never prematurely... so far.

you leave your bag hinging halfway out like that???? Mine's all the way in, just the leash/strap hanging out clipped to butt ring. No trouble getting it out.

Only difference is that I don't use a Halcyon bag (closed circuit is BS IMHO).

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...
you leave your bag hinging halfway out like that???? Mine's all the way in, just the leash/strap hanging out clipped to butt ring.
No leash on the 80# bag so I leave some hanging out... but the crotch strap holds in against me... actually there is only 1/4 of it on the outside and it is very secure and out of the way.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

No leash on the 80# bag so I leave some hanging out... but the crotch strap holds in against me... actually there is only 1/4 of it on the outside and it is very secure and out of the way.

I wouldn't be comfortable like that. Of course I guess you're mostly in open water so less likely to have an issue but that would scare the poop outta me inside a wreck...

I think liftbags are the only item Halcyon makes that I use another brand of because I don't like theirs.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom