No more large and heavy tanks! Seen on TV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rossandmaureen

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
If it is on TV is must be true....right? Last night's episode of Prison Break showed five prisoners grabbing Spare Air cylinders (with two of them sharing one no less) and jumping in the ocean to swim underwater out to a marker buoy far offshore. Hard to tell a time line but it seemed like long enough for a regular recreational dive. This is obviously great news for those of us who want to get rid of heavy and bulky tanks and replace them with a tiny hand held Spare Air.

Or....were the writers perhaps a little mistaken?

Too funny and even more of a stretch than the old Babe Watch episodes.:rofl3:

If it is on TV is must be true....right? Last night's episode of Prison Break showed five prisoners grabbing Spare Air cylinders (with two of them sharing one no less) and jumping in the ocean to swim underwater out to a marker buoy far offshore. Hard to tell a time line but it seemed like long enough for a regular recreational dive. This is obviously great news for those of us who want to get rid of heavy and bulky tanks and replace them with a tiny hand held Spare Air.

Or....were the writers perhaps a little mistaken?

Too funny and even more of a stretch than the old Babe Watch episodes.:rofl3:

Maybe it's larger on the inside than it is on the outside. You see things like that in Harry Potter and Doctor Who.

Just to be safe I'm gonna get redundant doubles spare airs.

Gee, I wonder if they make bands and manifolds for double Spare Airs? Of course I'm holding out for the James Bond rebreathers... you know, those tiny pen sized things you stick in your mouth and dive forever with. Maybe Tobin at Deep Sea Supply can engineer one!

Maybe it had LOX in it?
A 1 cubic foot tank of LOX would be about 860 cubic feet of gas O2.
Just stay about 15 feet so you don't Tox out.

Oh and make sure you warm the gas enough, would not want to freeze dry your lungs.

Television is full of junk science like that, McGuiver, the A Team had really stupid stuff on it, Air Wolf with a supersonic helicopter, now Spare Air. Sadly, as someone with a second post grad degree in education, my first post grad is in Geology and then Geoscience, I have to tell you that the public is ignorant, they get their education from TV, Global Cooling followed by Global Warming and now it is just Climate Change as a catch all. More sound bite TV education, the Spare Air of Geoscience, Global Climate change that is, been changing for 4.8 billinon years, not likely to quit changing anytime soon, but, hurry, the sky is falling.

I am going for Spare Air Triples, that is the ticket.

Howabout when the A Team used hair dryers to inflate garbage bags tied to lawn chairs on extension cords to float them over the prison wall--yeah--happens all the time, just like swimming a mile underwater with a Spare Air or attacking an aircraft with a nail clipper but they darn sure keep taking mine.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom