no more PADI dive insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Felon_Monk:
we all know what padi stands for.. they want money and they admit it..
Put Another Dollar In

blah blah blah
newspaper.gif

Felon_Monk:
we all know what padi stands for.. they want money and they admit it..
Put Another Dollar In
As do most insurance companies and other businesses.... at least the ones still in business.

EDIT: I have DiveAssure and the DPP program... Haven't received the letter that the OP has stated....

The letter from PADI said effective Dec 31/07, the program with V&B wil be discontinued. But the letter from V&B said the program will not be renewed effective Jan 29/07. So I asume that you are still covered until your policy expires and then their done.

The letter from V&B also says " this action does not effect the professional Liability Progarm offered to PADI members."

Ontwreckdiver:
The letter from PADI said effective Dec 31/07, the program with V&B wil be discontinued. But the letter from V&B said the program will not be renewed effective Jan 29/07. So I asume that you are still covered until your policy expires and then their done.

The letter from V&B also says " this action does not effect the professional Liability Progarm offered to PADI members."

Hmmm sounds like your current term is good, but then at the end of it please go somewhere else...Mine expires in November, just renewed, so I guess next year I'll have to go somewhere's else!

DAN doesn't do PRO coverage as of last month and I don't think they are going to start now either. So, like someone else already stated it has to be for the personal protection insurance like DAN has always offered.

For PROs:

For another option on Pro Insurance check out http://www.scubainsurance.net/ from Witherspoon and Assoicates. They are about the same price for their DM rates, but for the OWIS prices they are cheaper than V&B and the coverages are the about the same as well. They are who I went with and the customer service was GREAT!

OHGoDive:
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against DAN, I'm a member along with my entire family. They are terrific, and I'd never let my membership lapse. But, from an apples to apples comparison of their insurance products, V & B offered the better package, with higher coverages.

I agree - and have yet to get my notice.

--Matt

catherine96821:
neither one are good deals.

My DM liability costs more than my malpractice insurance did....makes no sense to me.

Personally, I think the risk is overstated in order to collect more cash.

...whatever happened with that Cowboyneal insurance?

and..nobody really wants to answer the real consumer questions about DAN around here, as far as I can tell. Chamber treatments...etc They like it to all be a mystery.
Let me give you an example of a good insurance screwing.

We have a parade float for MS. It is a typical float with lots of animation. Depending on the parade it can go anywhere from 23’ to 35’ long, is 13’ wide and 12’ high.

It’s only operated by my wife and I but once in a while we will have one of the grand kids on board.

A one million-dollar policy that only covers liability while in the parade costed us in the neighborhood of $1500.00 per year, which consisted of between 9 and 12 parades. That broke down to roughly $78.00 per mile per year.

It took a long time just to find insurance but when we did I blew a gasket. When I first got the quote I told the agent to go turn himself in at the jail. He wondered why I would say that. Simple, I’m being Robed, Raped and just generally screwed, that’s why.

So I mouthed off and said you wouldn’t charge a teenager that kind of money for full coverage on a frickin Ferrari.

So 5 years later I come across a local kid that has two, yes two Ferrari’s. One is a 1999 and one a 2001. He is 22 years old and the two combined cost him $120.00 a month for FULL frickin coverage.

So lets see. We have two adults operating a float over a closed course at less than 5mph VS a kid with two Ferrari’s. We charge the float $1500.00 for liability only and the kid $1440.00 for full coverage with a $500.00 deductible.

Something is wrong with this picture. So I get the kids policy and promising myself I won’t kill myself an insurance agent, I go see him.

A month later I’m still getting screwed but I feel better about it. The new policy has been expanded to cover the entire support group, any activity we do as a group and the float between coming out of the trailer to going back into the trailer. It’s still a million-dollar liability policy only but much better than it was.

So what it boils down to is it doesn’t matter who you are or what your doing someone is going to try and squeeze every flippin cent out of you that they can.

The kid with the two Ferrari’s also has a Honda that will eat the Ferrari’s alive. It is basically a street legal race/show car with about a bizzilian horsepower. That one costs him $3000.00 a year to insure for liability only. I want to go for a ride in that one. I already got to drive the black Ferrari. But I can’t get him to let me take it on a dive trip. :D

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom