no more PADI dive insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ontwreckdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just got a letter from PADI last night that says

"Effective 31 December 2006, the PADI-endorsed Diver Protection Program with Vicencia & Buckly will be discontinued."

And a letter from Vicencia & Buckley that says " The PADI Diver Protection Program will not be renewed effective 1/29/ 2007 .(my renew date) PADI is now endorsing a similar program offered by Divers Alert Network (DAN). Enclosed is information on this program with instructions on how to enrole."

I also got the DAN insurance pamphlet and an invoice for their preferred insurance.:11:

Wow. I have PADI insurance through V & B. Haven't seen this though. Too bad though, I thought V & B had slightly better coverage/benefits. I'll have to keep an eye out for my notice.

hey, PADI got smart and went with DAN

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against DAN, I'm a member along with my entire family. They are terrific, and I'd never let my membership lapse. But, from an apples to apples comparison of their insurance products, V & B offered the better package, with higher coverages.

oh wow... well, then i have to take it back

when i looked into it, DAN was the better deal

neither one are good deals.

My DM liability costs more than my malpractice insurance did....makes no sense to me.

Personally, I think the risk is overstated in order to collect more cash.

...whatever happened with that Cowboyneal insurance?

and..nobody really wants to answer the real consumer questions about DAN around here, as far as I can tell. Chamber treatments...etc They like it to all be a mystery.

catherine96821:
neither one are good deals.

My DM liability costs more than my malpractice insurance did....makes no sense to me.

Personally, I think the risk is overstated in order to collect more cash.

...whatever happened with that Cowboyneal insurance?

and..nobody really wants to answer the real consumer questions about DAN around here, as far as I can tell. Chamber treatments...etc They like it to all be a mystery.

I don't think that they are talking about professional liability insurance for dive professionals. I believe they are just talking about diving insurance for the average joe diver. I do agree with you that a divers professional liability insurance is pretty high.

Heh, no need to take anything back. Depends upon what your definition of better deal is I guess. I liked the idea of annual trip cancellation benefits, instead of DAN's lifetime limits. I just didn't think PADI was stupid for offering V & B, it seemed like a good product. Of course, as Catherine noted, I probably will never have need for it, but then, that's true of most insurance I carry.

OHGoDive:
Heh, no need to take anything back. Depends upon what your definition of better deal is I guess. I liked the idea of annual trip cancellation benefits, instead of DAN's lifetime limits. I just didn't think PADI was stupid for offering V & B, it seemed like a good product. Of course, as Catherine noted, I probably will never have need for it, but then, that's true of most insurance I carry.

PADI probably discontinued the product because it wasn't financially benificial for them in some way or another. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom