No Octo while diving with redundant air supply

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think so. The list is for 'a properly equiped diver'. It then goes on to say 'a properly equiped Solo diver will cary the same equipment with one major modification...' which turns out to be an independent alternative gas supply which in their opinion should be a pony bottle.

You have an opinion and I can see it based on that bullet, mine is formed both on my instructor of the time and the context of the entire book and my experiences as a solo diver and buddy diver. Again, carrying around an extra second stage that does not represent a redundant air source and is in my opinion superfluous and is extra gear and therefore not minimal and is not necessary and is counter productive. The sentence my instructor referred to was not bulleted, it was in a paragraph. I do not know where my copy is, maybe my memory is wrong, if it is then I stand corrected :) and regardless my opinion still does not change. I do not want an octopus secondary on my primary air source for solo diving. My octopus/secondary for solo diving is on my buddy bottle.

A solo dive in the context of non-technical diving is no deco, no overhead, no penetration. Any problem encountered does not require the diver to do anything but go up to the surface. If that cannot be accomplished on the primary air source that is the entire purpose of an appropriately sized buddy/pony bottle and entirely separate regulator. If the primary fails, go up, switch regs to the redundent system and go up. If you can and want to breath the malfunctioning primary for some reason, go right ahead but I am switching and going up to the surface where I have all the air in the world. And if there is some restriction to my surfacing like kelp or swim to shore such, then the buddy bottle should have been sized to take that in account.

Read why it should be in the front and then give reasons why in the back is better?
Not the least bit interested in why you think it should be that way. In the past I've carefully considered all possibilities, I enjoy the freedom and convenience of having the pony on my back out of the way, and not interfering with my camera rig.

I constantly monitor the gas in both my primary and pony bottle with their own transmitters and wrist computers. And I look really cool with a computer on each wrist especially when I explain why it's set up that way to the typical curious vacation diver.

At any rate, I'm perfectly satisfied with my back mounted pony for whatever MY reasons happen to be, and that's all that matters.

Save diving

Been Running an Octo on my primary regulator while diving with a completely redundant system on my back

I'm thinking about ditching the Octo while diving solo as is just one more piece of kit to get in the way

What, if any, compelling reasons are there to keep the octo in play?
I plan to do the occasional solo once certified, but most of my diving will be with other divers. Right now I would donate my primary and switch to a secondary that's on a necklace. I do dive with a 19cf on every dive, because almost all my dives are same ocean insta-buddies that just takes off. Because I will be diving with other people mostly, I would not want to be changing my setup back and forth.
With my setup right now, nothing gets in the way and it's pretty streamline, so no compelling reason to ditch for me.

I have an SDI Solo cert. I found it interesting that an H-Valve meets criteria for redundant independent air source....

It fails in my mind with (1) neck o-ring (2) clogged dip tube...

I have an SDI Solo cert. I found it interesting that an H-Valve meets criteria for redundant independent air source....

It fails in my mind with (1) neck o-ring (2) clogged dip tube...
A Beuchat Y-valve has a not-extrudeable O-ring seat and two separated dip tubes.
That is the only valve I would use while solo diving without a pony tank.
With two separate DIN regs, of course.
See it here...

Rooting through my dive gear I found my copy of Solo Diver. For the discussion we were having as to the stance of SDI regarding the single tank solo diver and an octopus it is stated on page 82 that I had referred to, third paragraph:

As mentioned, SDI differentiates between a well equipped (buddy) diver and an equipped solo diver.

Rooting through my dive gear I found my copy of Solo Diver. For the discussion we were having as to the stance of SDI regarding the single tank solo diver and an octopus it is stated on page 82 that I had referred to, third paragraph:

As mentioned, SDI differentiates between a well equipped (buddy) diver and an equipped solo diver.
Well, there you go.
Searched mine as well and there it was. Didn't remember seeing it, so I stand corrected.

Well, there you go.
Searched mine as well and there it was. Didn't remember seeing it, so I stand corrected.

I was not trying to prove you wrong :cuddles:. I just remembered that section being in the text. No big deal, the way the SDI position is presented is not clear and this is not the first or last time it will come up. I did a couple of shore solo dives in Cozumel a few days ago, had no pony and had three second stages (one a BCI that I was experimenting with on a trial run)! Just a rule breaker I am. So much for the SDI manual :rolleyes:.

Ha! Maybe I did learn something from my SDI Solo Diver course. Alternatively, I may have come to the "right" conclusion all by myself :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom