No see ums - bit to hell in the USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've devised some treatments that seems to be working well for us, at least, for bugs of all sorts, including noseeums and mosquitoes:

For Bite Prevention: I do a morning rubdown of exposed areas with insect repellant mixed with hand lotion (or if you can stand the smell, Melaluca Oil in lotion works too) -- the repellant spreads better when blended with a lotion, and I think the repelling effect lasts longer. Remember to reapply after being in the water, and reapply whenever you think of it or feel the bites . . . !

For Bite Treatment (anti-itch): Then if I somehow do still get bit (usually because I forgot to rubdown or reapply after I get out of the water...) I apply a mixture of hand lotion (cheap baby lotion works best) and BenGay or similar muscle rub ointment. (approx. 10 part lotion to 1 part BenGay - I just shake it together in the lotion bottle.) I've discovered that it's the camphor and menthol in SARNA that works so well to stop itching -- and this homemade cream is a whole lot cheaper. If I have a really stubborn itchy spot, I just apply the BenGay-type ointment (camphor plus menthol is the key) directly to the bite. The menthol and camphor seem to trick the brain with their cooling action - and the itching just disappears! Some of the newer muscle-rub ointments don't have both of those ingredients -- but BiMart's generic Muscle Rub does. And it's cheaper. Lasts a long time!! Here's to itch-free Roatan!!

And I thought that noseeums were an Alaska thing. Can't get away from the things. Last summer I had a bunch of bites around my ankles that made my ankles swell up huge and lasted for two whole weeks. I had to take Benadryl to get rid of the itch. The Ben Gay idea sounds like a good one, gotta remember this for my next trip.

I usually get eaten alive everywhere I go and I am HIGHLY allergic to bites. I recently discovered Eucalyptus oil. I even used it in the jungle in Belize and didn't get bit. It even works after you get bit ( if you do) to releive the itch.
Its a remedy for lots of other things too so its handy to have when traveling

Are you rubbing the oil on directly, or do you mix it with lotion to help spread it? Sounds as good, if not better, than the camphor and menthol combo of BenGay -- particularly if it works in lieu of deet. You use it for bug repellant too?

I use campho phonic sp?? for bites it too has cnmphor andmenthol in it. The b&bw night blooming jasmin sounds good might have to try it.

Back
Top Bottom