No see ums - bit to hell in the USVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ack! I absolutely hate those things, unfortunately they adore me and there are lots of them in Roatan, where I do most of my diving these days.

What I have found that works best is a combination of skin so soft and Cactus Juice. When I get out of the shower, I put on a coat of skin so soft and then apply a generous coat of Cactus Juice over that. I also carry a spray version of Cactus Juice with me all the time to reapply if I start getting mosquitos buzzing around. Its not perfect, but the past few trips I have only gotten maybe 4 or 5 bites the whole trip. Also, when I do get bit, I take a benedryl before bed to keep me from itching all night.

Hope this helps.

Dion :)

Guanaja & Roatan have relentless noseeums but sometimes the secret is that a little bit "less" is more. Early on we'd douse ourselves and the kids w/skin so soft & cans of 29% Deep Woods Off - - - I guess it worked but there are more fun ways to get brain damage. (plus we all got rashes when using the 29% along with sunscreen.)
After more than 10 trips our best result has been with the 7%deet "family" pump bottles of Off or ______(can't remember - - -drug store brand).

On our last trip our friends treated their clothes with permethrin and had some 30% deet lotion (left over from the gulf war). - - - It was no better than our 7% pump bottle of Off. I just keep the bottle with us as we walk around and weget a few bites but do fine. - - - As someone else mentioned, benedryl gel is great if you do get bit.

A note on the "natural" stuff: We use that as often as possible and are quite fond of Burts Bees. It works great in Vermont but not in Honduras (language barrier?) - - -Good Luck.

Here's a good link about what the things are.
http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/aquatic/biting_midges.htm

And here's a better article on how DEET works. It's a pretty good one. DEET's always overhyped. I'm always having to monitor how much my students dose themselves, as many follow the "more is better" approach. All they're doing is poisoning themselves.
http://www.torontohiking.com/Tutorials/deet/deet.html

There's a nicer alternative to DEET now, picaridin. It's misspelled in the torontohiking article.

I've experimented with almost every tropical insect repelling technique imagined. I recommend a low concentration DEET (7-11%) applied judiciously to exposed areas only. But for high-bug areas, what works best is the old tried and true fabric barrier. Used successfully by hunters, fishermen, and scientists for centuries.

"Tropic-weight" clothing weighs almost nothing, breathes well, and stop no-see-um's cold. Tighter weaves like bush poplin will stop mosquitoes. You can pick up tropical anti-bug clothing at most sporting goods stores. Columbia is a good, affordable brand.

I was eaten alive by the no see ums as well when in St. Croix. I used deep woods off but am not sure it did much good since I didn't get it until the second day. I'm going back at the end of this month and will have it already in the suitcase instead of going out to find it.

BLoCLevel:
Do not apply the gin directly to skin. The drunken gnats then lose their ability to fly and then bite your ankles
Ah, I always wondered why the ankles were such a favorite!

I have read many articles that caution against DEET, especially in higher concentrations, and exposure of any synthetics (clothing, eyeglasses, watches, etc.). Has anyone had any serious problem with DEET and their scuba gear?

BLoCLevel:
Do not apply the gin directly to skin. The drunken gnats then lose their ability to fly and then bite your ankles

About the most accurate advice yet so far.

Better living through chemistry.

DEET is an excellent extender for most liquor, working extremely well with Rum.

I never heard anyone ask this bug thing before. Is somebody making this up?

Oh, yes, it's true, DEET will melt an ALU80 if it was made by LuxLuthor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom