No SMB, no good

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure thing Jeff. There are a TON (well actually TONS and TONS) of wrecks here because of this location had ships from Germany, Finland, Sweden, Estonia, and Russia are traipsing around during WWII. Add to the mix bombers and mines and wallah, instant wrecks!

One of my favorites is Polaris/Raa. She is a wooden sailing ship that was built in the 1900's believe it or not and was sunk my a bomb that left her dis-masted with open seams but basically intact. She sunk and landed on her keel so she rests naturally. Due to the low salinity of the water and the colder temperatures with reduce the O2 present, she is in pristine condition. There are a lot of entry points on her as well and not a lot of hazards.

Where abouts on Superior did you dive and what was the attraction?

Let me know when you can swing by! :wink:

We dove a spot about 45 minutes north of Duluth. Attraction? The chance to get wet!! :D

We will return to Czech in early November (Lord willing) so I'll have to let you know when it'll work out to come up.

Always do and did on this dive too. The problem with this can be suspended particles which reflect the light giving a "fogged out" appearance.

10.109.021-6.jpg

Naw, you just need to be able to blind the burbot with your light....

10.109.021-6.jpg

Naw, you just need to be able to blind the burbot with your light....

:D
Oh yeah! That would definitely get their attention and useful no doubt ...! :laser:

Hey there. . Thanks for sharing your experience with us. . Just proved me how important a smb really are end that one's life can depent on it. .

I dived recently on Aliwal Shoal in South Africa and also had a eperience with my smb. . Just before i moved back to the in land i bought myself a smb, because i have heard a few stories and found out how important a smb are for a diver. .

We did a early moring dive on Aliwal Shoal, about an hour before the dive the wind came up strongly and we had swells of 3m to 4m (9f to 12f). . Not that bad, because we are use to worse then this. . So we proceeded with the dive. . The whole dive went well and we didn'thad any problem at all. .
Then the time came to ascent and so we all did (just before the dive reminded my instroctor to please show me how to inflate my smb so that i can learn to use it when i really need it, i qaullified for my awo the prevous day and he said he will help me on the next dive). . Nothing went wrong on the ascent and we did our safety stop. . When i saw my time alreaddy past for my safety stop i reached for my smb, but couldn't get hold of it as the reason it is behind me in my bc at my back, my next thouhgt was that i must take my bc off and then i will be able to do so. . Next thing i see my buddy asking me what is wrong i said i am okay and he saw i am bussy taking my smb out and that i am fine. . He then went for the surface, because he was feeling nausses and vommited before the dive. .
So no i was so focused to inflate my smb that i lost track of the group and buddy( ja i know it was very irresponsible). .
I struglled to get my smb inflated underwater so i surfaced and iflate it in the surface. . Now as you remeber the swells are between 9f and 12f. . So for about 3min i didn't see the boat and then it appeared out of the blue after approxately 3min and 500m (1500f) away from me. . So i signed to the skipper i am fine, my buddy was about 200m (600f) from me because of the Aguallus current ( the strongets current in the world 0. .

I am sure if i didn't had a smb i would have been lost and had to swim 6km ( 3.75 mile) back to sore. . I learned that day 1. Why it is very important to stay close to the group ( even that i have always knew it) 2. How important a smb are for safety equipment. . 3. To always keep focus on the group so that you don't get side tracked and get swept away from the group with a current and not reallising you moving away from the group. .

:D

Live to dive and dive to live. . . .

Karel. .

Hey there. . Thanks for sharing your experience with us. . Just proved me how important a smb really are end that one's life can depent on it. .

just before the dive reminded my instroctor to please show me how to inflate my smb so that i can learn to use it when i really need it,... he said he will help me on the next dive

i reached for my smb, but couldn't get hold of it as the reason it is behind me in my bc at my back, my next thouhgt was that i must take my bc off and then i will be able to do so. . Next thing i see my buddy asking me what is wrong i said i am okay and he saw i am bussy taking my smb out and that i am fine...

So no i was so focused to inflate my smb that i lost track of the group and buddy( ja i know it was very irresponsible). .
I struglled to get my smb inflated underwater so i surfaced and iflate it in the surface. . Now as you remeber the swells are between 9f and 12f. . So for about 3min i didn't see the boat and then it appeared out of the blue...

I am sure if i didn't had a smb i would have been lost and had to swim 6km ( 3.75 mile) back to sore. . I learned that day 1. Why it is very important to stay close to the group ( even that i have always knew it) 2. How important a smb are for safety equipment. . 3. To always keep focus on the group so that you don't get side tracked and get swept away from the group with a current and not reallising you moving away from the group. .
Karel. .

Here is another thread along the same lines: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/270064-some-things-i-havent-learned-yet-new-post.html
The above thread gives some pointers and tips on deploying an SMB and even documents a beginner doing so. I would encourage you Karel to practice deploying you SMB constantly until it becomes second nature.

The reason I started this particular thread was to emphasize the importance of continuing your education AND continually practice those skills that have been already developed. I had gotten lazy. I had stagnated in my training and was simply "cruising" along. This is dangerous. I had to "re-establish" some protocols and procedures. Specifically, I got a reminder that I needed to have a SMB on each and every open water dive. Actually I carry 2 now (since I got my new drysuit and glued some pockets on it! :eyebrow:) Also, I got a "wake-up call" that I needed to brush up my communication skills and procedures.

mike, thanks for the post & your positive efforts to learn & grow from the experience. it's really nice to see someone with experience admit they've gotten a bit slack & need to re-focus. thanks so much!

Thanks Mike i will go and have a look. . My ultimate goal is to be a very safe diver so that other people can use me as an example. .

Live to dive and dive to live. . . .

Another vote for using a reel to find your way back to the anchor line when vis is poor and the wreck is big. Less effective but also good is a strobe light to attach to the anchor line a few feet above the tie-in point, but will only help if you can get back within 10 feet or so if the vis is really silted.

Thanks for writing your story.

theskull

Let me add a $3 piece of equipment to the list that no has mentioned. While an SMB is very helpful, it is only helpful if others can see it. The weather in the original story was iffy. What would have happen had it been pissing down rain or fog had rolled in when you surfaced? The SMB would be of little help. Add whistle to your kit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom