No tanks from PST?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, can we start a group buy for PST??? We must have some people here with deep pockets. I'll toss in $1,000.00 US.

What exactly is a tank exemption? I'm looking at a couple of PSTs now. If this DOT exemption thing expires, does this mean I can't get the tanks filled anymore? Or does this apply to new, unsold, unstamped tanks? I'd hate to spend the $ on these to have them worthless next year. Surely everyone who owns these tanks won't wake up one morning to find there tanks are suddenly unfillable.

surfsidedav:
What exactly is a tank exemption? I'm looking at a couple of PSTs now. If this DOT exemption thing expires, does this mean I can't get the tanks filled anymore? Or does this apply to new, unsold, unstamped tanks? I'd hate to spend the $ on these to have them worthless next year. Surely everyone who owns these tanks won't wake up one morning to find there tanks are suddenly unfillable.
This was covered on another thread...that was identified in a previous message of this thread...
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=115437

I looked at the thread. It references the ability to get a private exemption. After digging around the DOT website, I found lots of exemptions, but I don't know which one applies to this tank. Also, after calling the southeast office of DOT in Atlanta, the gentleman said if he had the exemption number, he could look and see if would self-renew(?) or if it would even be necessary. Anybody know the exemption number? I think it looks like E-xxxxx. According to a local business that does the hydro testing, he says that with no current exemption on file, then no hydro renewal, so in 5 years the tanks become worthless. I don't know about you guys, but in 5 yrs I don't need a set of 130cf door stops.
David

DOT-E Exemption 9791

Thanks, I found that on the PST website about 5 mins after posting. I just got off the phone with someone at DOT in DC and was told that they were getting alot of calls about this and that the powers that be at PST had spoken to them and intended to renew, which BTW renewals are now 4yrs instead of 2. She also said that if they were sold, who ever bought them could keep the exemption permit active. At worst case, if they went belly up and didn't renew, you could change the wording ever so slightly to reflect an individuals use instead of a manufacturers use, as stated in another thread. I just got a touch paranoid b/c as stated previously, I don't need expensive, ugly door stops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom