No Technical Training for Me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterDiver

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Went out on a private dive boat Saturday in Florida. First dive, my buddy and I hunt in 130 ft depth with visibility of 60-70 feet, for around 30 minutes and get a few minutes of deco with nitrox. Shot a few fish.

Next stop; training dive for the two tech students and their instructor. Dive plan is 30 minutes at 160 feet on (air or 25% nitrox) and then deco with 80% for a total deco of around 34 minutes. One of the students is wearing double LP 95’s, steel backplate, and a 45? Cu-ft steel stage bottle. The diver is a 180 lb man of average build. He is wearing a 3 mm jumpsuit with no hood. Clearly his rig is extremely negative and I remind him to put a bunch of air in the BC before he gets in the water. He has apparently only used the double steels once in a pool on the previous day. This is some type of “extended range” course.

The other two divers are wearing big single steels and aluminum stage bottles.

This is a drift dive in 160 feet of water and they pull a surface float attached to a reel. I watch the clock and decide to snorkel around the surface float and watch their ascent and deco. I can see one student deploy a large SMB from a depth of 45-50 feet and hang underneath it. I swim down and can see the other student and instructor somewhat deeper and they seem to be coming up slower.

A little while later, I watch as the “heavy” student deploys his SMB, which is attached to a reel. This is a large SMB with maybe 40-70 lb? of lift capacity. The marker pops to the surface 10 feet from me and it is about 1/3 full. The student then somehow loses control of buoyancy and floats up kinda fast which allows the SMB line to become slack. Her then very quickly manages to get the a loop of the line twisted and caught around his ankle and simultaneously dumps too much air (from his “bungy wings of death”). He begins to sink rapidly and I watch as he drags the SMB from the surface and pulls it underwater. This has to hurt the ankle I assume, and I consider if I should freedive down and try to pull the SMB (and thus the entangled diver) toward the surface. But he is pulling it down fast and within a few moments I realize that the diver and SMB are going down too fast and I’ve missed the opportunity to provide any help.

The student is now in a free-fall, laying on his back, feet “in the air” and doesn’t appear to be kicking or doing much about his predicament. I think he might have “froze-up”. I am now wondering if I am going to witness another dive fatality and I am praying that he has not switched over to the 80% deco mix yet. I can just barely see the student when the instructor gets over to him and gets him coming up again. The other student made no attempt to help, although I guess on a technical dive, it is reasonable to assume that the instructor will handle the problems. I really couldn’t see what was happening at that point because the pair was at 70-80 feet and I was on the surface. They get the line straightened out and the student now had his buoyancy control, although the doubles are sitting on him crooked and he is clearly out of balance and not having a good time.

The dive goes further south for them as the reg on the deco bottle for the doubles student is freeflowing a lot and then after a short while he has switched back over to the main tanks of air. I swim down to the instructor/student at 30 feet and signal to inquire if they want me to bring them another deco bottle. The instructor (who has 2-3 freaking slates on his forearm decides not to use them to communicate with me) but seems to indicate he wants another bottle during our little pantomime session. I figure an extra bottle can't hurt them and I get on the boat and bring a bottle down to them. Their dive ends relatively uneventfully after this.

That cured me of wanting to be a "technical" diver for a few more years!

ahh, the joys of technical diving- it's like learning to dive all over again! The only thing that scared me was the heavy guy diving with steel doubles for the first time to 160'.

EDIT: OK, everything scares me- usually the first dive is simulated deco- dive to 100' or so, within the NDLs, and then ascend on a simulated deco schedule. Seems like a pretty bold dive plan, especially right after the pool.

Most good technical courses involve quit a bit of shalow skills work. You know, things like shooting bags, air share drills, valve shutdowns and so forth.

Not to say that everybody would have a problem but only diving doubles in a pool one time and then going straight to 160 sounds just a little...insane?

I wouldn't try to talk anyone into technical diving but, make no mistake, not all technical classes are such a total cluster.

Yep, I know what you mean after reading this. For me, 160ft is just too far from the surface if crap like this happens. Glad they are all OK. That's not to say all tech divers are bad. I've got 2 great instructors (both great teachers and cave instructors) who have gone deeper.
I'm not going tech any time soon as well.

Sounds like our near fatal diver was suffering from too much way too fast. The clue was only one dive in the pool the day before. I would recommend to him and any other diver transitioning from single to double tanks that they first become proficient in buoyancy, balance, trim on a single tank, master all the skills associated with air sharing, SMB deployment, gas management, and team skills before attempting technical diving. Its a shame that these situations happen, but they can be avoided with a little patience, practice, and planning.

dumpsterDiver:
and then deco with 80% for a total deco of around 34 minutes.
WHAT!!!??? 80% deco gas. He's lucky to be alive

Stroke one!
Stroke two!
Stroke three!

Yerrrr Out!

Soggy:
Don't let that deter you. Just find an instructor who knows what he's doing. That one doesn't...a good hint was the 80% deco gas.

OK guys, educate me. I know 50% and O2 are common for deco, but my future tech instructor (likely this summer for advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures), has told me there are time where he feels 80% is the way to go for the final 2 stops instead of O2. I believe he said it was times he felt the lower O2 clock loading was more valuable to him than the reduced deco time. Why is his choice of 80% indicating that he doesn't know what he was doing?

P.S. I do totally agree with the belief that doing an actual Deco dive right off the bat was totally nuts, as well as taking a guy with no doubles experience that deep.

Jim

dumpsterDiver:
That cured me of wanting to be a "technical" diver for a few more years!
That cured me of wanting to be an instructor for a few more years. :)

Seriously, get a good instructor and go for it if your interest and experience warrant it. There is plenty to see that you cant see with an AL80.

Thalassamania:
Stroke one!
Stroke two!
Stroke three!

Yerrrr Out!
:rofl:

Jimmer:
OK guys, educate me. I know 50% and O2 are common for deco, but my future tech instructor (likely this summer for advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures), has told me there are time where he feels 80% is the way to go for the final 2 stops instead of O2.
I have heard this reasoning as well and hope that some of you experienced tech divers will discuss this one. I know my deco instructor taught 100% at 20'. Probably the most intense moment for me in all my training, except for the very first drop to the knees and breath off regulator, was the first time I started sucking on that 100% O2. All these thoughts going through my head such as, you dont feel a tox seizure coming on, controlling my depth, I hope my body responds OK, etc. It worked great for me.

Jimmer:
I do totally agree with the belief that doing an actual Deco dive right off the bat was totally nuts, as well as taking a guy with no doubles experience that deep.
I didnt see enough info in the original post to really tell me what diving/training had gone on previously. Maybe the original poster knows more than he posted. It says they were in 160' of water, not that they were at 160'.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom