No Topic/Chat thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone every Dive Nokomis beach for teeth? North of the jettie seems productive at times if you hit the right spot. Never heard of anyone diving just south of the pass... thoughts?

I have dove off Nokomis Beach (just north of the beach) several times. Out about 1/2 mile or so is a nice "rubble pile", at least that is what I call it. It looks like there should be lots of sharks teeth but I have yet to find any. Lots of fish and still a nice dive though. Nothing but sand all the way out to the rubble but there is an area of hundreds of sand dollars you pass through. Try it, it's a fun dive.

Have only been diving 2 winters (2.5 yrs) for fossils... is silt common every winter (comment in general topics if you have views)?

Yes, I'd really like to know how common the silt is also. I've only been diving in Venice once, and that was the middle of last October, and the silt was really bad. Found a baby Meg, but pickings were slim. I hope to go back this year, but really want to avoid the silt. Thanks.

Yes, I'd really like to know how common the silt is also. I've only been diving in Venice once, and that was the middle of last October, and the silt was really bad. Found a baby Meg, but pickings were slim. I hope to go back this year, but really want to avoid the silt. Thanks.

The past two years have seen unusually rough winter weather which in turn erodes the beach and causes the bottom to be turned over. Silt will settle on the hard bottom and cover the fossil bed until such time that the bio activity scrubs it clean. However, this takes time and if rough weather continues to hit, the process needs to start over. Some have suggested that the beach renourishment project in Venice has added to the problem but we have no data, other than anecdotal evidence. Once calm seas settle in for good, normally after March, then things will begin to clear up. The good news is that the fossil hunting should be great once the silt clears out. We hope that the winter weather pattern these past two years is temporary and not a result of the changes resulting from arctic melting, as some scientists have suggested! These comments are based upon 13 years of empirical observations as a charter captain in Venice and a hydrogeologist.

In response to Dive4lifesw, from the beach reports. Yes, I have had it happen before when I have come up in the middle of fog. Remember, you have a compass on your consol. My biggest fear was not being able to be seen. Always carry an air horn for just those occaisions.:)

I'm watching moving ice on the St. Lawrence River and counting down the days to my 3week vacation at Manasota. 13 days! I was there for 2 weeks last March but the weather was poor, we only got in 2 dives, one at the Service Club and one at the Boneyard with Florida West. We found several good megs, despite the poor conditions. We are staying at the same house on Manasota Key, immediatly north of Stump Pass park. I'm wondering if anyone has done fossil diving from shore in this area? We attempted it last year, we rented tanks from Steve but after a week and a half of wind we returned them still full. I spent a lot of time walking the beach and pulled 2 nice horse teeth and a badly worn meg out of the dunes near the water's edge at Stump Pass. There are hundreds of small worn teeth on the beach. Is there anything out further? Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to the fossil diver's forums, especially the continuing Weather/Beach Condition forum. I read it daily. Hope the water clears up and warms up soon!

Steve from Megalodon charters is doing a trip to Manasota key soon... reportedly there are GREAT fossils off shore (only via boat). I don't know of anyone who has tried closer. I am hoping to take the boat there next week with him (conditions pending). If conditions clear up, I was planning exploring around there via kayak/swim in March. Would love to help you look for finds. Feel free to Priv. Mess. me if you want. Also, there might be something there because in the Venice area I am finding megs in areas I never found them... bottom has really changed. IF anyone has Manasota exper. please post! :)

Thanks...

If there are good diving spots anywhere near Stump Pass I would love to hear about it. We walk the beach around Stump Pass quite often and do find many small teeth but nothing of any size. I have tried a couple of spots between Stump and let's say two miles south of the pier but have not had any luck. I must admit though that I find it hard to try a "new" spot when the old ones still produce.

Perhaps if I were a bit younger? :)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom