No Yellow Fins??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr Chen, I did a perfunctory search before posting and a more thorough one at your suggestion. The most recent thing that applies to my specific question was the two year old video that left the question about “yum yum yellow” pretty much hanging, and still didn’t address my question about DMs on boats requiring black or blue fins. Notice the references in Lorenzoid’s post are mostly a decade or so old.

I did read with interest about the instructor who specifically chose yellow fins so his students would be able to find him, and parenthetically I should mention that one of my DMs in Nassau chose white fins pretty much for the same reason. Here’s a picture of her clowning for the camera as she keeps watch over her charges.

I feel like my question has some legitimacy… and I still don’t have a definitive answer. I do know I like swimming in these fins much better than the stiff, open heel “boards” they replaced!

🐸
I wasn't saying it to be rude. I feel like this conversation just happened in another thread. I'll see if I can find a link, as it might provide valuable insight.

Here are some threads on the subject.

Thread 'Shark diving' Shark diving

Maybe I'll get lucky one day and see a Great White :). I only have about 1300 dives in SE FL.
Google "Great White on the Duane"...watch the YouTube of it!

Yum Yum Yellow for me. 🤪

Attachments

• P2230653.jpeg
    P2230653.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 53
I've been diving yellow jetfins for over 10 years. Never had a shark encounter that I considered their appearance was due to my fins.

I recently bought a pair of Mares full foot fins in bright yellow with black trim, planning to use them primarily for boat dives. Exploring the website of a FL dive operation I read their warning against wearing yellow fins on dives where sharks would be encountered. They even said they would rent blue or black fins to eliminate the “danger”. Am I the only one who has never thought (or even heard) of this phenomenon? On some of my recent dives in Nassau, we were surrounded by Reef Sharks but I didn’t get attacked, nor did they even show any undue interest in my bright yellow fins.
Was I just lucky? Were the sharks color blind in the Bahamas? Is the FL dive operation just trying to rent more fins to yankee tourists? What gives here?
🐸
I was a Boat Captain here in Jupiter in the 80's and 90's got so burnt out on diving and had some medical problems I quit for 15? years ..Back then sharks weren't an "attraction" ... I'm not so hip on this new attraction but to each their own ..Getting back into it now and I have Neon Green Mares Fins ..Ha ..I read the article too ..think a friend of mine wrote it ..I'm sorta looking for black fins and am not in any hurry to do a "shark dive"

Yeah, shark dives don’t hold any real attraction for me. I actually do have the T shirt - about three in fact, and I didn’t get one for each “shark dive”. My last afternoon of diving with Stuart Cove’s the sharks were a bother, not because they were aggressive or dangerous but because they were curious and in the way… I was trying out my new UW camera and wanted to get some other fish pictures. I had enough of sharks! Did I mention I was wearing yum yum yellow fins?
My trip to Jupiter Beach looks like it’s going to be put on hold now for a while, so maybe something will be different by the time I can go.
🐸

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom