NOAA science diver cert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So (and forgive me for asking this) but what does the PADI National Geographic cert do for you?

I guess I should have smelled something fishy when this cert was available for Open Water divers. :sarcasm:

"P.A.D.I." = Put Another Dollar In :rofl3:

It's basically a fish ID / project AWARE type course that includes some basic information on collecting population data and other bits of info. It's not intended to make on a scientific diver and it's not marketed that way by either PADI or National Geographic.

Typically the AAUS program is like Basic scuba, Advanced scuba, Rescue Diver and Divemaster with courses on measuring, transects, underwater photograpy, marine bio, oceanograpy, physics, collecting of marine animals, first aid, CPR, oxygen administration, blue water diving, small boat handling and a few other things I can't remember. The class out here is about a month long, Monday through Saturday with a long three day final trip of rescuing divers, deep dives, night dives and a lot of candidate punishment in the form of swimming and towing bodies.

That is just to qualify one to get to the job site as a scientist.

The class out here is about a month long, Monday through Saturday

That's run through a university out your way? I notice in my area Rutgers and U Del have similar programs.

If I recall all AAUS programs must be run by a university (or rather an Organizational Member of AASU). If you are really looking into these programs the full requirements and policies for AAUS divers are downloadable from their website under

AAUS Standards

Keep in mind, most programs require you to be an active member of the university/ organizational member, such as a student or employee. Moreover, AAUS certifications are no longer active if you leave that institution.

One last thing, Thalassamania here on the boards knows a lot about AAUS. I think he was around for it's founding and was active in writing the policies. If he doesn't show up in this thread, consider sending him a PM.

That's run through a university out your way? I notice in my area Rutgers and U Del have similar programs.

The actual organization is the Ocean Studies Institute Diving program dates which is a consortium of the Southern California universities and colleges.

The Instructor is actually an employee of Long Beach State University.

If I recall all AAUS programs must be run by a university (or rather an Organizational Member of AASU). If you are really looking into these programs the full requirements and policies for AAUS divers are downloadable from their website under

AAUS Standards

Keep in mind, most programs require you to be an active member of the university/ organizational member, such as a student or employee. Moreover, AAUS certifications are no longer active if you leave that institution.

The standards are actually set by the local organization and it's Diving Control Board. Then they are reviewed by the AAUS main branch. So standards might very from local organization to local organization.

I was going to mention Thal too, but you beat me to it.

Typically the AAUS program is like Basic scuba, Advanced scuba, Rescue Diver and Divemaster with courses on measuring, transects, underwater photograpy, marine bio, oceanograpy, physics, collecting of marine animals, first aid, CPR, oxygen administration, blue water diving, small boat handling and a few other things I can't remember. The class out here is about a month long, Monday through Saturday with a long three day final trip of rescuing divers, deep dives, night dives and a lot of candidate punishment in the form of swimming and towing bodies.

That is just to qualify one to get to the job site as a scientist.

I'm just returning from a tour of the Florida Keys Community College with my high school senior son where we saw an overview of their diving program as well as other programs. The facilities look wonderful as well as the overall scope. They also are proud to be associated as an AAUS program.

With this said, I don't understand why they are teaching with jacket BCs, standard regulators/octos, split fins, snorkels, etc. The divers I saw had incorrect hose sizes, poor fitting jacket BCs, their octos floating about, all flutter kicks, etc. Why aren't these divers being taught the importance of non silting kicks, trim and buoyancy, and streamlining? Wouldn't these attributes and skills improve the quality of scientific divers in not disturbing sites?

We liked the programs offered but are dismayed by the lack of diving skills being emphasized or seemingly, even appreciated.

Last edited:
Most college programs are low budget. They use what ever is available that either the school has, can be rented or the students bring with them. Typically the college does not provide dive gear.

Most of the Instructor I know as just the basic scuba instructors of some mainstream agency and are teaching scuba skills to the required basics. Also you need to understand that teh course is more than just diving, in the period of time allotted there may by only ten or fifteen dives. One can not be expected to fix all of the issues you just listed in ten dives while trying to teach something else entirely, plus the students are required to be scuba certified and should have those skills already.

How many basic scuba courses by the major certification agencies do you know of that teach frog kicks, dead on buoyancy, streamlining?

Also, did you voice any of your concerns to the instructor, or did you just leave the issues the way they are and walk away.

Most college programs are low budget. They use what ever is available that either the school has, can be rented or the students bring with them. Typically the college does not provide dive gear.

Impressively this particular school is well funded with respect to their diving program. They gave the impression that Oceanic and other manufacturers are sponsors. Their overall scope of facilities is top notch as they do include hyperbaric chambers, camera and video equipment, mixed gas supplies and instruction as well as AUVs.

Most of the Instructor I know as just the basic scuba instructors of some mainstream agency and are teaching scuba skills to the required basics. Also you need to understand that teh course is more than just diving, in the period of time allotted there may by only ten or fifteen dives. One can not be expected to fix all of the issues you just listed in ten dives while trying to teach something else entirely, plus the students are required to be scuba certified and should have those skills already.

This does seem true at most schools but we were told that FKCC has full time instructors on staff with the school. I understand that these issues might not be covered in basic open water courses but my disappointment is that these skills do not appear to be taught at any point in any of their diving classes. Are these skills not of value for scientific divers? It seems that the intent of scientific diving would be to not disturb the sites when performing any scientific study whether it be reefs, breeding grounds or historically sensitive sites.

How many basic scuba courses by the major certification agencies do you know of that teach frog kicks, dead on buoyancy, streamlining?

GUE, UTD, NSS-CDS, NACD, how come AAUS isn't in this? It appears that the University of Miami is teaching these skills as their diving safety officer is a GUE instructor.

Also, did you voice any of your concerns to the instructor, or did you just leave the issues the way they are and walk away.
Yes we discussed these concerns and my son will not be in their diving program. He is already a PADI MSD and NSS-CDS Cavern Diver and will enroll in their Marine Ecology curriculum part time as he will be working at the Naval Research Laboratory on Fleming Key full time. He would have complemented his studies with scientific diving courses but it is doubtful that he will use now use his electives on these courses as his goal is to eventually transfer to another Florida public university for his bachelor’s degree in ocean engineering.

Overall we very much like the balance of real world work experience and university study that he will experience with this arrangement. We like that the school offers a 11:1 student-to-faculty numbers and the campus and facilities are beautiful. My questions are not to denounce this or other schools but to try an understand why such skills and equipment for perfecting trim and buoyancy, streamlining and alternative propulsion techniques are not of seeming interest in scientific diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom