NOAA warning re: Atomic SS1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little misleading, this is true across all octo/inflators not just Atomic. They may want to look at the service tech who worked on these regulators before issuing this type of warning.

A little misleading, this is true across all octo/inflators not just Atomic. They may want to look at the service tech who worked on these regulators before issuing this type of warning.
This appeared to be an internal memo, providing advice that would be appropriate if it was a localized servicing issue within the Standardized Equipment Program. I didn’t see any indication that pointed to a defect, and this is a year old.
I found a similar memo on that site regarding the lever arm in three Mares Abyss 2nd stages popping off - ??? Maybe someone likes to leave off the washer between locknut and lever?

This appeared to be an internal memo, providing advice that would be appropriate if it was a localized servicing issue within the Standardized Equipment Program. I didn’t see any indication that pointed to a defect, and this is a year old.
I found a similar memo on that site regarding the lever arm in three Mares Abyss 2nd stages popping off - ??? Maybe someone likes to leave off the washer between locknut and lever?
Which is why I said a little misleading, meaning the post and not the memo itself.

It is freely available to the public so not for internal use only. I was just googling for review on the Atomic SS1 and this was at the top of the search. Searched the board to see if previously discussed and couldn’t find any previous discussion. I’m not sure what one would consider a warning if this isn’t one.
Use only.

It is freely available to the public so not for internal use only. I was just googling for review on the Atomic SS1 and this was at the top of the search. Searched the board to see if previously discussed and couldn’t find any previous discussion. I’m not sure what one would consider a warning if this isn’t one.
Use only.
True, once it’s available to the public it’s not hard to report, but it remains an issue across the type and just wanted to clarify that.

First, if I was an Atomic dealer I would be contacting them this week for any additional info to be sure I understood whether or not my customers were affected by this issue.
Having said that, there is difference between "internal" and "private."

This was a memo issued by the NOAA Diving Control and Safety Board, addressed to NOAA Divers. Much of the direction that follows employs an alphabet soup of acronyms that makes it clear that this was written for that internal audience. Yes, it is publicly available. But in the context that this is a year old, and I could find no other mention of this issue with an online search, my impression is that it is quite possibly an issue peculiar to the NOAA SEP system, where all divers using SEP gear return that gear for an annual service overhaul to the same central location.

Nothing wrong with posting this, just adding the context for those who read the headline but do not then read the link carefully.

Sounds like an internal issue since it referenced returning to the NDC which is the body that is in charge of maintaining equipment as well as training.

Sounds like some tech is not tightening cover properly which is a human flaw, not a design issue.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom