Non-disclosure of medical condition (diabetes)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bellecath

New
Reaction score
I wonder what happens in case I do not tick the box on the health declaration for the PADI Open Water certificate, even though I suffer from diabetes? Does this rand my verificate invalid, in case this should come up, or is it just at my own peril? (And that of my diving mate, of course, but they would be informed of my condition - as long as I just get the certificate in my hand.)

I do have a medical certificate saying that I am perfectly fit for diving and so forth, from my doctor back home in Sweden, but it seems to me as they want me to do some kind of follow-up examination here in Asia. And this is extremely pricey, and I cannot afford it...

Is the medical condition of the diver somehow inserted into the PADI certificate, meaning that I will be "busted" when I control my blood sugar levels before diving, and I may not be able to use the certificate?

--> So; my question is: do I dare to NOT disclose my diabetes for the PADI instructor? Does anyone know?

I really appreciate any comments!

Thank you,
Belle

You have the $$$. The dive op enables your diving. Either one of you can reject the exchange for whatever reason you choose.

A PADI medical asks if you have a pre-existing condition and if so to have a physician follow up to see if that condition could affect you from diving safely.

As you have a signed medical from a physician, stating you are OK to dive, then you are OK to dive. A Dive Center has the right to deny you from diving with their operation, however this is very unlikely.

Honestly I don't see what it matters. If your doctor cleared you then you are fine. Like you said, I would do some reading on precatutions to take and tell my buddies. Think of it like this, after they certify you, you are certified for life and during that time a lot of things can change in regards to your health. It is up to you to determine if you are healthy enough to dive at any time.

I do have a medical certificate saying that I am perfectly fit for diving and so forth, from my doctor back home in Sweden, but it seems to me as they want me to do some kind of follow-up examination here in Asia. And this is extremely pricey, and I cannot afford it...

I can't say I really understand what you are saying there...

I am assuming "they" is the dive op you want to dive with. If THEY want you to do something as a condition of diving with them and you don't do it, THEY may reject you as a customer at any time.

I wonder what happens in case I do not tick the box on the health declaration for the PADI Open Water certificate, even though I suffer from diabetes? Does this rand my verificate invalid, in case this should come up, or is it just at my own peril? (And that of my diving mate, of course, but they would be informed of my condition - as long as I just get the certificate in my hand.)

You're not going until December so you still have time to get a medical. If you answer "yes" to any of the questions on the form then a doctor can still clear you for diving if they don't see a problem with it. Then what you do is answer "yes" on the form but show them the clearance from the doctor. Both forms together will form proof that everyone had lived up to their responsibilities in making sure you're healthy enough to dive.

And I would strongly advise you to get a medical for your own good. We once had a guy who failed to disclose a heart condition because he was afraid we wouldn't let him dive until a doctor cleared him (and he was right).

He's dead now. He died during the dive from a heart attack.

Those medical forms are more than just formalities. Take them seriously.

R..

Bellecath, is this the form to sign up for an open water certification class? If so, you can certainly lie on it, but if you do and anything bad happens to you, you will have absolutely no recourse against the instructor, shop or agency. It is, however, quite unfair to the instructor for you to lie like that, since he will not know of your condition, should you have any medical issues during your class. I realize you're sure you can control your blood sugar well enough to avoid that, but if you DID for some reason get low, wouldn't you like your instructor to know that the confused and wobbly person he's looking at ought to be given some sugar?

I doubt that anyone ( instructor or agency) cares once you have completed the course without incident. If what you are in fear of were true,, then all your certs would become invalid once diagnosed. If you lie on the medical form youare risking /hurting only yourself. The lie takes the instructor off the hook. None of the forms for anything is for your behalf, it is for the liability protection of the instruction process. Certainly someone will say that you may be denied training for YOUR safety but that is just verbage to make the denial palattable. No instructor with a functional brain will take on a heart patient or a claustrophobic or anyone with a serious (real or potential) problem that may result your injury at thier expence.
If you are that concerned that you may have a real problem, then you just may have one,, It is in your best health intrest to be minimally fit for the training you are persuing. Ultimately it is your decision alone what you put on the form.

FWIW: I was in a class with a diabetic who thought she has her blood sugar under control. She became dizzy at the end of the 2nd dive on the surface. Probably a combination of early morning, lots of physical activity and getting off her normal schedule. The instructor knew she was diabetic and was able to get her some sugar quickly before things went from bad to worse. If he did not know of her condition, I don't know how it would have turned out. An ambulance ride the the least.

Back
Top Bottom