Non-disclosure of medical condition (diabetes)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you have an ilness and fail to disclose it and you have a major problem just think how the instructor will feel and have to live with the fact ??
please treat the medical with respect!

Depending on where you are - lying about a disease wouldn't be seen too kindly by the court if an incident goes to litigation. Something about 'clean hands' doctrine. Additionally, we had someone lie about diabetes and she passed out underwater at 15'. Just slumped over. It was not good for anyone. She's OK, but it took four instructors to sort it out and a trip to Catalina Hyperbaric chamber via Baywatch. Her lying put at risk some 30 + students who were underwater at the time.

Hi all. This thread is a little old so likely no one will see this but... I'm really interested in threads like these. Part of the reason people lie on the medical form is that most Health Care Providers know nothing about diving, therefore their default is to say "no" to anyone who wants clearance. Even if they have well controlled chronic illness. The providers are too afraid of being sued. So divers forego clearance and just lie. Would you?

Failing to discuss with your doctor your ability to perform various activities due to medical considerations would be a mistake. The results of those discussions are private and protected by law.

Hi all. I agree with everyone that it would be ideal to discuss health conditions with medical providers before diving. I do not advocate lying. I am in the health care field, however, and I know that most providers have never been diving, they know nothing about what diving entails, or how it might or might not affect various conditions. They generally don't have the time (nor interest) to research or consult on the issue, as this is a "first-world' problem. Other things take priority, rightly so. So by default, most providers will be cautious and NOT clear a person with a controlled chronic problem. Even dive-shop recommended dive-knowledgable providers (at least in my neck of the US) are so fearful of lawsuits they rarely clear anyone with any health issues. Including health issues that will not increase the risk of diving. I dove with a woman who had just completed treatment for her stage IV breast cancer and was basically terminal. She lied on the form, but everyone in the shop knew. She was awesome, and it was so cool and special to be present while she did the thing she loves. I also dove with a man who was disabled from Polio. Sure, his trim was not great, but he did not jeapordize anyone else. Both of these people had family diving with them. So, say you have well controlled diabetes and your provider won't clear you. What would you do?

Unfortunately, not many people are informed about Diabetes. They hear the word and think of people who pass out all the time, are half blind and have lost a leg. There are two common forms of diabetes, Type 1 and Type 2. Type 1 people are getting so frustrated in being lumped with Type 2 that there is very strong movement to call it TD1. Both have very different treatments and side effects. A controlled Type 1 is healthier and more in tune with their body than a "healthy" person. How many of you go for a complete check up every three months?

I do not agree with lying for any reason. However, the ignorance about diabetes, especially Type 1, is staggering. There is prejudice and fear without even research or knowledge. It has been posted that people with a "medical condition" should have a monthly doctor's clearance. Really??? Type 1 diabetes does not change monthly or yearly. It isn't something that can be controlled by exercise and diet. Discrimination comes in many forms, the dive can suddenly be "full" or they just happen to not have the equipment one needs to dive.

One last thing, people see someone with an insulin pump, they think that they have diabetes really "bad". The opposite is the truth. Only people who are in compliance and regulated are considered for a pump. There is one company that I know of whose pumps are waterproof and able to withstand deep water.

In my many years, I have decided to only disclose something on those generic forms if it will affect me or those around me. If it gives someone who is ignorant on the subject, a cause to discriminate, I do not check the "box". Like it has been said, high blood pressure and high cholesterol can affect a diver. Wonder what conditions would turn up with supposedly "healthy" people if they were to have to be subjected to a complete physical?

I initially blew off this thread as it was old but I feel compelled to discuss an alternate viewpoint.

As a matter of disclosure I am a healthcare provider as well. So I read this as the OP was referring to the self disclosure standard PADI forms used during training and the ones used by the various dive ops. I ALWAYS answer no to every question on the form. It is none of anyone's damn business what my health history is and no one can compel me to disclose anything I do not wish to disclose. This is between me and my healthcare team. Now the dive op has the right to refuse service to anyone. Good on them as it should be.

So now we are at an impasse. Well not really. All that has happened is that I have accepted responsibility for anything that happens to me due to a pre-existing condition. The only time it would matter is if something went to court. Easy for the dive op to state the fact that they asked and I did not disclose. Case over. Anything not related to that condition is still up for litigation. If I lose a leg in a prop due to negligence of the operator, my undisclosed prior sinus surgeries are not related and will have no bearing on this case.

Finally don't give me any crap about the poor divemaster being scarred for life if something bad happens to me while diving. Thems the breaks, and every diver knows something bad can and does happen. In fact I fully intend to give it up deep underwater somewhere at the ripe old age of something diving until the bitter end. So get used to it.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom